Can you help me understand helicopter aerodynamics?

In summary, the basic formulas to calculate the cruise and maximum speeds of a helicopter are weight, motor power and height. Additionally, the climbing speed can be calculated based on the same data.
bilter
Hi,
I have some questions about helicopter aerodynamics. I have been searching the web (and this forum) up and down but I could not find the answer. Maybe you can help.

I want to calculate the cruise and maximum speeds of a helicopter given the weight, motor power, height (assuming pressure decreases linearly). I also want to calculate the climbing speed given the same data.

I found some books about helicopter aerodynamics (Bramwell) but they are much too detailed for me since I am no aeronautics or mechanical engineer.

Can you give me some simple formulas or point me to good sites?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anybody?
Or am I simplifying too much?

it depends on the design specifics of the helicopter. performance changes from helicopter to helicopter.

Thanks for the reply. OK, it depends on the specs of the helicopter. Then which specs are critical for vertical and horizontal speed other than weight and motor power, height? What am I missing here?

Or are you saying that two helicopters may have same weight and horse power but they can have different horizontal and vertical speeds based on their shapes, motor efficiency and similar things?

u must know the total thrust/lift from the rotor blades.
from there, u'll have the excess thrust/lift to make the heli climbing up.

since the rotor plane can be tilted to the front, aft, left and right...the total thrust/lift vector also can be change according to collective input by the pilot.

this vector can be solve into vertical and lateral vector (using trigo).
vertical vector or lift will balance the heli's weight, make it stay afloat,
while lateral vector (either to forward, rearward, leftward or rightward) will propel the heli to the vector's direction.

* pls correct me if I'm wrong, just want to share what i know...

1. What is the main function of the rotor blades on a helicopter?

The main function of the rotor blades on a helicopter is to generate lift. As the blades rotate, they create a difference in air pressure, which allows the helicopter to rise into the air.

2. How does a helicopter maintain its stability in flight?

A helicopter maintains its stability in flight through a combination of its design and the pilot's control inputs. The tail rotor helps counteract the torque generated by the main rotor, while the cyclic and collective controls adjust the pitch of the rotor blades to control the helicopter's movement.

3. What is autorotation and how does it work?

Autorotation is a technique used by helicopter pilots to safely land in the event of an engine failure. It involves using the upward flow of air through the rotor blades to keep them spinning and provide enough lift for a controlled descent to the ground.

4. How does a helicopter's shape and design affect its aerodynamics?

A helicopter's shape and design play a crucial role in its aerodynamics. The shape of the fuselage, rotor blades, and tail rotor all contribute to the overall lift and drag of the helicopter, as well as its stability and maneuverability.

5. What are the main factors that affect a helicopter's performance?

The main factors that affect a helicopter's performance include its weight, altitude, air density, temperature, and wind conditions. These factors can impact the amount of lift and power needed for the helicopter to fly and maneuver effectively.