Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helicopter attacked with bows and arrows!

1. Jan 5, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4144405.stm

This reminds me of some rare WWI film footage that shows the calvary charging on their horses, right along side the first tanks - a unique and brief moment in history, and certainly funny looking from our point of view. :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2005 #2
    Lol thats pretty funny.

What makes them think it would have worked?

4. Jan 5, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The crows.

5. Jan 5, 2005 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

These are primitive tribes that have had little or no contact with the outside world, they have no idea what a helicopter is. They've never seen one.

6. Jan 5, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder if the villagers who didn't see it believe the stories about the giant bird with wings on its head, and a voice like pounding waves. :biggrin:

7. Jan 5, 2005 #6
    Oh wow. I wasn't aknowledged that these tribes are primitive. Uh oh, i should've read more carefully.

8. Jan 5, 2005 #7
    Bows and arrows? Now that's my kind of weapon!

9. Jan 5, 2005 #8
    I nearly had that giant grasshopper! Unfortunately it flew off while I was grabbing for my trusty bean-flip.

10. Jan 5, 2005 #9

Tsu

Gold Member

Uh, nobody threw a coke bottle out the window, did they? :rofl: :rofl:

11. Jan 5, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If someone did, The Gods Must Be Crazy!

12. Jan 5, 2005 #11
    It may have been Pepsi

13. Jan 6, 2005 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... :biggrin:

14. Jan 6, 2005 #13
    I'm pretty sure they said it was a Diet Pepsi

15. Jan 6, 2005 #14
    Wow....it took PF five messages to decide that a diet pepsi could have been thrown out a window. The forum's kinda weird sometimes.

Anyway, yeah, thats kinda funny, I wonder if any of them shot straight up?

I think its really funny how the tribes are trying to kill this giant metal bird, and the writer basically just says "Them trying to kill us is a good sign they're alive! thumbs up!"...it just makes the effort seem so futile.

16. Jan 6, 2005 #15
    Did you know...

FYI...

The last US cavalry (not
    ... that's a biblical location... pet-peeve) horse charge happened in the weeks after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. It happened in the Philippines and was... get this... SUCCESSFUL! A platoon of mounted cavalry was on a scouting mission when they came across a Japanese occupied village. Without hesitating the commander ordered a line formation and a PISTOL charge. The platoon went galloping into the village with their Colt 1911 automatic pistols blazing and thoroughly trounced the Japanese.

However, in the ultimate bit of irony, in the following weeks, when it was certain the Japanese were going to overrun the US forces in the area, the horses that took part in the last cavalry charge were butchered and fed to the starving troops.

Bon appetit.

Cheers...

17. Jan 6, 2005 #16
    Again ironically, this note was from a guy called "LunchBox."
    :smile:

18. Jan 6, 2005 #17

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Cavalry was indeed used in ww1, but met with limited success, mainly due to the invention of barbed wire. Bare horse legs fared poorly against this new and scratchy foe.

19. Jan 6, 2005 #18
    Barbed wire had a part to play in the decline of the horse soldier, but historians agree two of the main reasons were...

1) Repeating firearms - these increased the fire rate of infantry from a few rounds per minute with the muzzle- and breach-loading rifles to a few dozen rounds per minute with revolver- carbine- and magazine-fed rifles, meaning infantry could dismount or kill many more cavalry soldiers before the horses could close the distance.

2) Machine guns - the very large target presented by a horse and rider was near impossible to miss when spewing out hundreds of rounds per minute.

Cheers...

20. Jan 6, 2005 #19
    That could be why it happened.

However, in my mind, I'm seeing one point his bow up, lean over to another and say - in another language -

"Bet this makes the evening news."

21. Jan 6, 2005 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's probably true! Then they put down their bows and arrows and broke out the video games.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?