1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helicopter Automatic Hovering

1. Aug 30, 2015 #1
    Heya everybody,
    I am trying to write a code that will make a toy helicopter to hover. I have cameras that are constantly tracking it, reporting at real time about it's position and angles.
    I have control on the yaw (Z axis rotatio), pitch (forward/backward movement), and rotors speed.
    I have basic knowledge in physics, so I ask two things:
    1. Is it possible??
    2. Someone can explain me what are the physical forces working on the helicopter, and if there are equations to balance it??

Thanks bodies...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2015 #2
    1) Yes, of course it's possible. That's one of the most significant things about a helicopter, is its ability to hover.

2) Well, there are basically two forces, assuming that you keep it stationary in the horizontal direction. There is gravity, and then there is the lift of the helicopter caused by the spinning rotors "throwing" air underneath them.

4. Aug 30, 2015 #3

But even when it's hover, it's not staying in position, and goes diagonal. Any attemp to change angles just make it worse.

5. Aug 30, 2015 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

In a relatively wind free environment? Yes it's possible for your toy helicopter to hover.

You need your lift to equal the downward force of gravity. The easiest way to do this would be to find the throttle sweet spot that allows hover.

6. Aug 30, 2015 #5

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You're never going to get a stationary hover with toy helicopters, there will always be some component of movement along the plane. You can minimize it by playing with the pitch/yaw.

7. Aug 30, 2015 #6
    W
    What is that component??

8. Aug 30, 2015 #7
    I need stationary hover, or something close to it

9. Aug 30, 2015 #8

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

They're variable, depending on conditions. If you have cameras tracking the motion, you can create a feed back loop that will supply corrective inputs to minimize the motion.

10. Aug 31, 2015 #9

donpacino

Gold Member

what is your academic/professional background?
    is this for a project?

the reason I ask, this can be a very complicated controls problem depending on the constraints and end goals.

11. Aug 31, 2015 #10

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try adjusting the weight trim .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook