1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helicopter bolt- find torque

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a simple helicopter blade, attached to a bolt at its end. The bolt is made to rotate by a powerful motor, and the blade therefore rotates. The blade has a length L= 7.8 m and mass M= 100 kg. The blade is shaped approximately like a long thin, uniform rod.
    What torque must the bolt exert on the blade in order to bring it from rest to full angular speed 320 rev/min in time t= 6.70 s

2. Relevant equations

Before, I worked out the force that ther bolt exerts on the blade when the blade is spinning at full speed to be 4.4 x 10^5 N. thus, force= 4.4 x 10^5 N. I thought that i could just find the angular acceleration: wf=wi + at and then find the moment of inertia and use T=Ia but i dont know what the moment of inertia would be. Would it be 1/12mL^2 or 1/3mL^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the angular acceleration to be 5/rad/s^2.. but i just dont know what the moment of inertia would be becoz i worked them out using the above equations and i keep getting the wrong answer. the right answer is 7.6 x 10^3 N.m. Is T=Ia the right forumla to be using or am i on the wrong track? Any help would be muchly appreciated! thankyou!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi 9giddjl! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

It's 1/12 mL2 about the centre of a rod,

and using the parallel axis theorem it's 1/12 mL2 + 1/4 mL2 = 1/3 mL2 about the end :wink:

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3
    i used 1/2 ML^2 for the moment of inertia and it yielded the correct answer! thankyou for ur help wise teacher!:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook