Can a Helicopter Fuselage Exhibit Pendulum Behavior?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the hanging mass of a helicopter fuselage beneath a rotor exhibits pendulum behavior. Some argue that because the rotor head is not a fixed point, the mass lacks the attributes of a true pendulum. However, others suggest that during certain maneuvers, such as "S-turns," the body of the helicopter may exhibit pendulum-like behavior due to the control of the rotor tilt and lift. The idea of a helicopter as a pendulum is often considered a myth in helicopter engineering books, but the concept is still debated. Additionally, the conversation touches on the dynamics equations and simplifications involved in considering a suspended "sling load" under a helicopter as a pendulum. Some individuals, particularly those with fixed-wing
wazoo
Hi, my first post to this forum:
I'm curious whether the hanging mass of the fuselage beneath a helicopter rotor can be said to exhibit pendulum behavior.

Specifically, in the case of a helicopter or other rotorcraft with a so-called teetering rotor, no torque is present at the rotor head because of the hinge arrangement. Control is by vectored thrust in which the total lift is perpendicular to the plane of the rotor . The rotor is tilted by cyclic control, which causes the thrust vector to move off of the Center of mass. The aircraft rotates about its CG, as do all rigid bodies.

Seems to me this is like a weight on a string, but the pivot point(rotor head) is not fixed in space.

Because the rotor head is not a fixed point, it has been argued that the mass, assumed to be a point mass at some distance below the rotor, lacks the attributes of a true pendulum.

However, it seems to me that during certain maneuvers, say rapid back and forth turns( "S" turns), that the body of the helicopter would lag in its its response relative to the rotor and there is a 180 phase shift at a certain frequency of turning similar to the phase shift often seen in resonance conditions. This hints at the weight acting like a pendulum.

In other words, when the helicopter reaches the far end of a left turn the mass below the rotor is banked maximally to the left, but the rotor is now banked to the right in order to commence the next right turn.

The body would appear to swing back and forth like a pendulum, but I have not been able to properly model this behavior on paper, or in my mind.

I'd like to think that the pendulum period could be calculated in the same way as it is for any pendulum- based on the distance from the rotor head to the CG.
Helicopter engineering books sometimes state that the idea of a helicopter as a pendulum is a myth, but I need to know why, if indeed that's true.

Yet, a suspended "sling load" under a helicopter IS considered a pendulum.
I'm confused as to how to compare these cases because the helicopter has a relatively large mass compared to the sling load, while the helicopter rotor can be considered to have zero mass compared to the body of the helicopter in this argument.
Can anyone get me started on how to sort this out?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your "S-turns" aren't apt to be executed with a "bang-bang" cyclic movement without creating a stall condition of some sort --- got to be some collective games getting played as well, or you're going to find out why there's a piece called the "Jesus nut."

"Slung pendulum?" You bet you --- gets to be too much like a pendulum, the load gets "punched off" in one big hurry; look at the center of mass of bird and load, conserve its momentum, and figure the load on the rotor.

With no offense to Fred or Bystander, some of us fixed-wing guys still consider the 'roundy-winged' ones as slightly insane. Why would one voluntarily hit the blue wearing a collection of spare parts flying in loose formation? :biggrin:

Admittedly, I am not going to go through the dynamics equations here, but you might want to take a look. It is pretty much what you are looking at:

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~ihm22/Advisor_Deliv/Helicopter%20Dynamics/Inv_Pend_Heli_Comparison.doc

I will say that the sling load pendulum argument holds weight to me as an acceptable simplification. I have seen many sling loads that have had a periodic motion to them in straight and level flight, even when aerodynamic loading is not constant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say it's more like a body moving in the direction of the force applied to it. Imagine one of those large city busses with the hinge in the center. I can't see the chopper acting as a pendulum during maneuvers. Maybe if you came out of a steep turn and then had a computer constantly adjust the rotor head to be parallel/level with the horizon you would see pendulum effects. This is all speculatory blather on my part by the way. :biggrin:

Fred, that inverted pendulum document looks interesting, but I will have to wait to read the it on another PC. This one can only read older doc formats.

Maybe if you came out of a steep turn and then had a computer constantly adjust the rotor head to be parallel/level with the horizon you would see pendulum effects

Yes, that's more or less what I'm getting at.
That the pilot could excite pendulum behavior by controlling the rate of rotor tilt and the lift.

In frame A below, the helicopter is shown deccelerating as it moves from left to right. The stick is being pulled back, but the pilot maintains constant altitude. A camera moving with the helicopter will show the mass slowing down, rotating and translating in x and y.

In frame B, the same thing is shown from the viewpoint of a camera tied to the rotor head. The mass appears to swing out ahead.
Thae aircraft is rotating about the cg while experiencing acceleration in x and y.
I didn't draw a frame C, but I think the restoring force would be from the force couple formed by gravity acting on the mass and the upward component of rotor thrust as the rotor is levelled at just the right rate to maintain the pendulum behavior.

Attachments

• pendulum_1c.jpg
    pendulum_1c.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:
Danger said:
With no offense to Fred or Bystander, some of us fixed-wing guys still consider the 'roundy-winged' ones as slightly insane. Why would one voluntarily hit the blue wearing a collection of spare parts flying in loose formation? :biggrin:

Not offending me a bit --- I could never figure out whether it was motion sickness or burnt JP whatever --- puked my guts out about four hours afterward every time I ever had to ride one of the damned things.

I love the smell of JP8 in the morning. It smells like...victory

To be honest (****, that's a bizarre concept): I have just finished my first version of a logo for the 2013 World Police & Fire Games, to be held in Calgary. There's a contest to choose one. Aside from the fact that I'm just starting to do graphics as a side-line, and this will be a way to show my stuff, the first place prize is 1 hour on the Search and Rescue jet boat, and 1 hour in HAWC1--the flagship of the Calgary police force helicopter squad. I'm going to send in as many designs as I can just for a chance to get my mitts on that thing. :biggrin:

edit: If you're curious, HAWC1 is an MD520 NOTAR. Don't know about the boat.

Last edited:
Hello,

This is my first post here, . . I surfed my way here from google search Helicopter plus Pendulum.I also see that this thread is about 4 yrs old, so I hope you guys are still out there.

I'm not a Physicist but I do technology concepts, that's sort of like guessing without numbers and when you feel your getting warm you go out and look for an engineer to check your
design for, "proof of concept".

I am interested in "Helicopter Pendulum" but in the rescue line type swings.

After seeing a flash flood documentary several years ago, I have made it a pet project and have talked to a couple of pilots about it.

The thing is one pilot says that it doesn't happen often enough to warrant the FAA, to ambitiously seek solutions and if you did find a mechanical solution for it, no one would be interested in the paying cost.

I have my doubts about that, . . as the way I see it, helicopters will be increasingly used in rescues of all kinds and I believe that th, "uncontrollable swinging" of the rescue line will increase in occurrence.

I hope this post is appropriate for this thread as I do see you have mention slung or sling,
and I assume you are speaking of a load on the line.

Anyway my first question for you, is would you happen to feel that the occurrence rate is known or where might I find that kind of information.

Welcome to PF, Jople.
With no offense intended, I don't exactly understand your question. Are you referring to the oscillations of a rescue basket, or the increased load upon the chopper, or what? The entire scenario is certainly worth discussing, but you need to be a bit more specific as to your questioning.

:rofl:

I must say, that is probably the most descriptive visual aid that anyone has ever provided on PF. It appears, then, that you are asking about side-loading of the rescue basket. That doesn't occur under normal circumstances. Either strong crosswinds or a river current as depicted in your link are necessary for that. A good pilot can compensate for either, but it takes some extra concentration.
By the bye, I've changed my attitude toward whirly-birds now that I've been a passenger. I'd love to drive one.

Thanks for your response and glad to have furnished you with an illustrative graphic that was able to provide you with the necessary information.

I realize that, as you say, "A good pilot can compensate for either, but it takes some extra concentration.", I have had that explained to me by a pilot some time back.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is some commentary I have gathered;

Pilot Comment

The problems are:
1) Winds - winds acting on the helicopter and wind acting on the people
on the end of the cable - remember the cable is quite a long way beneath
the helicopter and the wind there is very probably significantly
different that the wind on the helicopter. In no wind, the down wash from
the helicopter rotor will be affecting the people on the cable for quite
a distance, but with any wind speed, (and remember it can be from nearly
any direction relative to the direction the helicopter is pointing), the
downwash may be exacerbated or nullified.
2) Gusts of wind - the wind is not always constant in either strength or
direction. This means the helicopter may always be correcting it's
position and attitude (depending on the automatic flight control system
fitted to the helicopter).
3) Starting position relative to the helicopter - if the person being
picked up is not directly below the helicopter, then on lift-off from
the surface, there will be a pendulum effect started.

The weight of the people on the line is relatively small in comparison
to the weight of the helicopter.
The rescue hoist is not on the center line of the helicopter, but
displaced to one side by a significant amount.

Pilot Comment
Whenever a helicopter pilot has an external load that starts to swing
(Human or non-human cargo), he will begin to slowly turn and the
swinging will cease.
Initiating a shallow turn will remedy the pendulum effect by decreasing
the ability for the load to swing by using centrifugal force. Even at a
slow forward speed with a shallow turn to one direction, it will create
a G Force on the weight, increasing the relative weight on the end of the rope and diminishing the swing.
Simple problem, simple fix.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above may be true, however, I tend to believe from the example I have viewed in a news documentary a few years back, and is a good bit like that, as is demonstrated, in the graphic illustration, . .that a pilot may not always have the time and space to make the compensation.

I'd like to get to the data, and am thinking about the possibilities that the FAA, may have a report log, if they don't they should.

If you do get up there, . . happy flying.

Hi,

This is my first post here. If you would like to do some practical experiments along these lines I have several remotely piloted helicopters of different sizes that I will offer up. (I am always looking for an excuse to fly)! They have payload capacities of up to 20 lbs. Some years ago I had to perform a payload test on one. It was a windy day and I suspended 20 lbs. under the heli from a line about 4 feet in length. Immediately a wind gust pushed the heli backwards so I corrected forward. The weight then shifted backwards and an oscillation started. Out of curiosity I allowed the oscillation to continue. It reached an equilibrium with both the helicopter and the suspended weight swinging directing out of phase with an amplitude of about 1 foot off center (total). By timing my cyclic corrections I was able to minimize the swinging motion until the next big gust of wind started the process all over again. I hope this helps.

Hi Heliman,

Glad to have your response, . . I do have an interest in developing some type of
demonstrative experimentation and am attempting to organize an R&D project.

Please allow me to get a little information about you.

Do you have any experience in R&D applications or proposals ?

Are you a Pilot.

Where are you Located.

At my best I'm a technology concept developer.

I am a free lancer but have an interest in Search and Rescue and Emergency Response.

I am a member of CCR, DHLS, but am not getting any traction, but have joined a couple of organizations lately where I am hoping to find ways to move forward by communicating in conversation with others of the same interest, etc.

Have an interest in Wildfire control systems, and am from the North East, . . New Jersey, . .

South Jersey.

Hi Jople,

I don't really have any experience with R&D proposals. I am located in Ohio. I have been an unmanned helicopter designer and pilot for going on 30 years now. All of my work to date has been for my own uses.

OK, . .

So, I innovated a concept or two for Helicopters, my main interest is in solving problems, and I started with sea search and rescue situations. . . then I had the opportunity to see the SAR variations via the TV documentaries and realized the scope of future possibilities.

I generally consider myself an artist but tried my hand at technical innovations and
creating new products, living near the coast and meeting fishermen, I took up an interest
in rescue.

Are you in a related field as an occupation ? Freelancer or hobbyist ?

Are you a model builder ?

My day job is as an engineering manager in the electric power industry. I also have a side business that involves unmanned helicopters. The helicopter stuff all started out as a hobby many, many years ago when the equipment was marginal at best.

Sounds good, I'd like to make some moves forward with this as a project, . .
Unmanned fits the bill to.
I am developing a plan.
If you will have further interest, I believe there are good possibilities and opportunities,
it is only a matter of making it happen.
Will be glad to stay in touch as per PM.

Hello Heliman,
Do you have any material, photos, videos or the like, that you will share ?

In the past I have been in touch with simulation training facility, and asked about the Pendulum effect but they did not have a program for it and said they considered it, . .
however when I asked about development, I received no answer, . . I'd like to re-send a
proposal, but have not yet decided what to say, my thoughts are to put some assets together for a proposal, and possibly include your project description.

Therefore, that would be up to you.

Jople

wazoo said:
helicopter ... teetering rotor, no torque is present at the rotor head because of the hinge arrangement.
I had the impression that there are either springs or compressable bushings along with the teter hinge. One issue is that excessive teter could lead to a tail boom strike by the main rotor. The springs or bushings would transmit torque directly to the main shaft.

In radio control helicopters, at least the ones that can fly inverted, any pendulum effect would make the helicopter unstable while in inverted flight, so tetering hinges aren't used.

Link to an example article about rc helicoptor rotors:

http://www.w3mh.co.uk/articles/html/csm9-11.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that in this thread we must be talking about more than one, pendulum effect,
I saw reference to that fact previously, but now am wondering if I should start another thread to separate the two, I have always thought, since, around 2002-2003, the "pendulum effect",
when referring to helicopters, referred to line swing.

If you are referring; flying, "inverted", and are meaning, (craft upside-down), I am making reference to, "rescue line'', being effected by forces that cause it with payload to swing, . .
rather uncontrollably, . . so it is a bit hard for me to understand where a relevance to this
might be effected by inverted flight.

Jople said:
I see that in this thread we must be talking about more than one, pendulum effect.
The OP was discussing the effect on the body of a helicopter. The cable issue was in the second part of the OP.

Last edited:
Thank you, . . it is now clear to me that there are two different topics here, etc.

Although, I know very little about the first, it is interesting and I'll read into it, . .

BTW, would anyone know regarding, When incidents such as, "line swing" occur, when the helicopter is using the rescue line or load line, is there a log or incident report, made ?

Heliman,

Have related line cargo technology,concept (undeveloped), and wanted to discuss with you as it is something, I am sure has or will come across your drawing board.

Are you checking your PM's, I have not sent regarding this but would like to know you
are there, as previously you have invited me for trial experimentation, but I do not know as to what degree of utilization you are referring.

Presently the concept development will hold priority, etc.

1. What is a helicopter pendulum?

A helicopter pendulum is a mechanical system consisting of a helicopter body attached to a pendulum-like arm. It is used to study the dynamics and behavior of a helicopter in flight.

2. How does a helicopter pendulum behave?

A helicopter pendulum exhibits complex and chaotic behavior due to the interaction of various forces such as gravity, air resistance, and the rotation of the helicopter blades. It can swing and rotate in unpredictable patterns.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a helicopter pendulum?

The behavior of a helicopter pendulum is influenced by several factors such as the length and mass of the pendulum arm, the shape and weight distribution of the helicopter body, and the speed and direction of the helicopter's rotation.

4. What can be learned from studying the behavior of a helicopter pendulum?

Studying the behavior of a helicopter pendulum can provide insights into the fundamental principles of aerodynamics and mechanics. It can also help in understanding the dynamics of helicopter flight and can aid in the design and control of helicopters.

5. Is a helicopter pendulum an accurate representation of a real helicopter?

A helicopter pendulum is a simplified model of a real helicopter and may not capture all the complexities of actual flight. However, it can still provide valuable information and can be a useful tool for research and education in the field of aviation.