1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helicopter problem

1. Jun 25, 2005 #1
    This problem led to a debate in my physics class, which was never resolved.

A helicopter holding a 70kg package from a rope 5m long is accelerating up at a rate of 5.2 m/s^2. Neglect air resistance. When the upward velocity of the helicopter is 30 m/s, the rope is cut and the helicopter continues to rise at a rate of 5.2 m/s^2. Determine the distance between the helicopter and package after 2 seconds.

The debate was over whether or not the package had a velocity of 0 or 30m/s after it was cut. I personally believed the package to follow a projectile path upward at a starting velocity of 30 m/s. Am I wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2005 #2
    In my opinion the package would have an upwards velocity on 30m/s and be accelerationg downwards at g.
  4. Jun 25, 2005 #3
    It is obvious that when the package starts falling it has an initial velocity of 30m/s, taking upwards as positive. Take for example a bus. If you are a passenger, and if the bus was travelling at a high speed and was forced to brake at a high deceleration, you would be flung forward because you are still travelling at the bus's initial velocity before the bus decelerates.
  5. Jun 25, 2005 #4
    Yup, no debate about it: it still has the velocity given to it by the helicopter, as they were acting as one object initially.
  6. Jun 28, 2005 #5
    Thank you all for helping me on this one. I thought that the package should have an initial velocity of 30 m/s. Unfortunately, i was the only one to think so :frown: . Oh well. Thanks again
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?