• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Helicopter problem

• Thread starter Viper2838
  • Start date
This problem led to a debate in my physics class, which was never resolved.

A helicopter holding a 70kg package from a rope 5m long is accelerating up at a rate of 5.2 m/s^2. Neglect air resistance. When the upward velocity of the helicopter is 30 m/s, the rope is cut and the helicopter continues to rise at a rate of 5.2 m/s^2. Determine the distance between the helicopter and package after 2 seconds.

The debate was over whether or not the package had a velocity of 0 or 30m/s after it was cut. I personally believed the package to follow a projectile path upward at a starting velocity of 30 m/s. Am I wrong?

In my opinion the package would have an upwards velocity on 30m/s and be accelerationg downwards at g.

It is obvious that when the package starts falling it has an initial velocity of 30m/s, taking upwards as positive. Take for example a bus. If you are a passenger, and if the bus was travelling at a high speed and was forced to brake at a high deceleration, you would be flung forward because you are still travelling at the bus's initial velocity before the bus decelerates.

Yup, no debate about it: it still has the velocity given to it by the helicopter, as they were acting as one object initially.

Thank you all for helping me on this one. I thought that the package should have an initial velocity of 30 m/s. Unfortunately, i was the only one to think so :frown: . Oh well. Thanks again

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving