Helicopter Velocity - Calculating Speed of Air

In summary, the problem involves a hovering helicopter with a weight of 6230 kg and a rotor diameter of 14.6 m. The question is asking for the speed of the air that the rotor is pushing down. To solve this, the area of the rotor must be calculated to determine the mass of the air and the necessary velocity to generate the lifting force for the helicopter.
Drizzy

Homework Statement

A helicopter is hovering at a height of 10 meters. It weighs 6230 kg and the diameter of the rotos is 14.6 m. What is the speed of the air that the rotor is pushing down?

Homework Equations

How am I supposed to solve this problem?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll probably need the area of the rotor but I haven't figured out why yet...

Physics news on Phys.org
With the diameter of the rotor you can calculate the size of the area, the air is pushed down to lift the helicopter.

Why do I need the area? Maybe to calculate the mass of the air?

Exactly. You have the possibility to accelerate air with a small rotor to high velocities or with a large rotor to lower velocities to generate the force, that lifts the helicopter. With the area you can define which velocity you need the air speeded up.

1. What is the formula for calculating helicopter velocity?

The formula for calculating helicopter velocity is distance divided by time. This can also be expressed as velocity = distance / time.

2. How do you measure the speed of air when calculating helicopter velocity?

The speed of air is measured using an airspeed indicator, which is a device that measures the difference between static air pressure and total air pressure.

3. What factors can affect the speed of air and in turn, the velocity of a helicopter?

The speed of air can be affected by atmospheric conditions such as wind, density altitude, and air temperature. The design and weight of the helicopter can also impact its velocity.

4. Can the velocity of a helicopter change during flight?

Yes, the velocity of a helicopter can change during flight due to changes in atmospheric conditions or when the pilot adjusts the helicopter's controls.

5. Is it important to calculate helicopter velocity?

Yes, calculating helicopter velocity is crucial for safe and efficient flight. It allows pilots to monitor their speed and make adjustments as needed, and it also helps with planning and navigation during flights.