How Does Helium-3 Energy Output Compare to Traditional Explosives?

In summary, helium 3 has the potential to be a powerful energy source for the future, with an estimated 1 million tons on the moon. In a fusion reaction with deuterium, 1.7 terajoules of energy can be released, which is equivalent to the energy needed to power the entire United States for a year. This comparison may help non-scientists better understand the potential of helium 3 as an energy source.
DaveR
I am giving a presentation on helium 3 for a future energy source and i am looking for a way to describe (and compare) how much energy is released in a helium 3 reaction (D-T would be fine). some thing that would be clear to people who have no science background. (i.e. the amount of H-3 that could fit in this raquet ball would be more powerful than a truckload of TNT) something like that anyway.
Thanks
Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveR said:
I am giving a presentation on helium 3 for a future energy source and i am looking for a way to describe (and compare) how much energy is released in a helium 3 reaction (D-T would be fine). some thing that would be clear to people who have no science background. (i.e. the amount of H-3 that could fit in this raquet ball would be more powerful than a truckload of TNT) something like that anyway.
Thanks
Dave

What's a helium 3 reaction?

It's a fusion reaction : He-3 + deuterium gives He-4 + proton + bucketfull of energy

Scientists estimate there are about 1 million tons of helium 3 on the moon, enough to power the world for thousands of years. The equivalent of a single space shuttle load or roughly 25 tons could supply the entire United States' energy needs for a year, according to Apollo17 astronaut and FTI researcher Harrison Schmitt.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/helium3_000630.html

Last edited:
You must mean Hydrogen 3 (tritium) + deuterium.
The mass difference between d+t and He + n is 17.59 MeV.
Multiplying this by Avagadro's number (for one mole), and converting to Joules,
I get (Check my arithmetic.) 1.7 X 10^12 Joules released.
I guess that would be written as 1.7 tJ. (That's more than I make in a year.)
That would be the energy release for one mole (3 grams) of H3 on one mole
(2 grams) of deuterium.

1. What is Helium 3 energy?

Helium 3 energy is a type of nuclear energy that uses the isotope helium-3 as a fuel source. Helium-3 is a rare and non-radioactive isotope of helium that can be found on the moon and can potentially provide a cleaner and more efficient source of energy compared to traditional nuclear energy sources.

2. How is Helium 3 energy different from traditional nuclear energy?

Traditional nuclear energy uses uranium as a fuel source and produces radioactive waste, while Helium 3 energy uses helium-3 and produces significantly less waste and no radioactive byproducts. Additionally, Helium 3 energy has the potential to be more efficient and have a higher energy output compared to traditional nuclear energy.

3. What are the potential benefits of using Helium 3 energy?

The use of Helium 3 energy could potentially provide a cleaner and more sustainable source of energy compared to traditional fossil fuels. It also has the potential to reduce carbon emissions and decrease our dependence on non-renewable energy sources.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using Helium 3 energy?

One major drawback of Helium 3 energy is the limited availability of helium-3. It is a rare isotope that can only be found in small quantities on the moon. This means that obtaining enough helium-3 to power large-scale energy production on Earth would be extremely difficult and costly.

5. Is Helium 3 energy currently being used as a source of energy?

No, Helium 3 energy is not currently being used as a source of energy on a large scale. However, some research and development is being done to explore its potential uses and feasibility for future energy production.