Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helium-3 superfluidity

1. Jul 2, 2006 #1
    does anybody know something about magnetic behaviour of helium-3 superfluid, i.e. under T=2,7mK and beneath its gas pressure?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2006 #2
  4. Jul 2, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I'm not mistaken, the calculations prior to Lee, Richrdson and Osheroff's work in the 70s said that He-3 should be antiferromagnetic below about 2mK. I think in their original paper L, R and O showed that this is not true - but they may have changed this later. There were a few things that weren't so well understood immediately after the original measurement. One of them was the magnetic ordering. I would look into subsequent papers by L, R and O.

Also, recently, Anderson has been doing a few calculations on He-3 and He-4 after Kim & Chan's work. I think he finds that there are both ferromagnetic and antiferromagnetic terms that nearly cancel each otherand result in the weak exchange behavior that was perhaps suggested by L, R and O. I'm very hazy on this, so I suggest you look into the most recent papers by Anderson (last 2 years).
  5. Oct 22, 2009 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?