Helium-3 Superfluidity: Magnetic Behavior Questions

• Thread starter armandowww
  • Start date
In summary, Helium-3 superfluidity is a unique phenomenon that occurs at extremely low temperatures and in the presence of a strong magnetic field. It is characterized by the ability of Helium-3 to flow without any resistance, even at temperatures close to absolute zero. This behavior is caused by the alignment of the atomic spins in the liquid, creating a superfluid state. Scientists are still studying the magnetic properties of Helium-3 superfluidity and its potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and fusion energy.
armandowww
does anybody know something about magnetic behaviour of helium-3 superfluid, i.e. under T=2,7mK and beneath its gas pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
armandowww said:
does anybody know something about magnetic behaviour of helium-3 superfluid, i.e. under T=2,7mK and beneath its gas pressure?
If I'm not mistaken, the calculations prior to Lee, Richrdson and Osheroff's work in the 70s said that He-3 should be antiferromagnetic below about 2mK. I think in their original paper L, R and O showed that this is not true - but they may have changed this later. There were a few things that weren't so well understood immediately after the original measurement. One of them was the magnetic ordering. I would look into subsequent papers by L, R and O.

Also, recently, Anderson has been doing a few calculations on He-3 and He-4 after Kim & Chan's work. I think he finds that there are both ferromagnetic and antiferromagnetic terms that nearly cancel each otherand result in the weak exchange behavior that was perhaps suggested by L, R and O. I'm very hazy on this, so I suggest you look into the most recent papers by Anderson (last 2 years).

More info can be found here: http://www.3he-helium.com/
Also a great documentary of the BBC btw.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

What is helium-3 superfluidity?

Helium-3 superfluidity is a state of matter that occurs when liquid helium-3 is cooled to extremely low temperatures. At these temperatures, the helium-3 atoms lose their individual identities and behave collectively as a single quantum entity with unique properties.

How is helium-3 superfluidity different from normal helium?

Normal helium, also known as helium-4, becomes a superfluid at a lower temperature than helium-3. Additionally, helium-3 superfluidity displays unique properties such as spontaneous flow without resistance, the ability to climb up and out of containers, and the ability to pass through solid objects.

What causes helium-3 to become a superfluid?

Helium-3 becomes a superfluid as a result of a quantum mechanical phenomenon called Bose-Einstein condensation. This occurs when a large number of particles, in this case helium-3 atoms, enter the same quantum state and behave collectively as a single entity.

How is the magnetic behavior of helium-3 affected by superfluidity?

Helium-3 superfluidity exhibits unique magnetic behavior due to the pairing of helium-3 atoms in the superfluid state. The paired atoms have opposite spins, which creates a net spin of zero and results in a lack of magnetic response in the superfluid state.

What practical applications does helium-3 superfluidity have?

Helium-3 superfluidity has potential applications in fields such as cryogenics, quantum computing, and medical imaging. It has also been used in research to study quantum phenomena and superconductivity. However, the limited availability of helium-3 makes these applications challenging to implement on a larger scale.