Helium 4 & Photon: Seeping & Propagation

In summary, Helium-4 can seep through glass containers due to its small molecular diameter and inert properties. It is commonly used as a leak detector for this reason. In its superfluid state, it has a macroscopic quantum phase which allows it to flow without dissipation.
cragar
When helium 4 is a super fluid can it seep through a glass container , I know it can crawl out of the glass due to the van der walls interaction . But I’ve got mixed answers about the seeping through the glass .
And does a photon propagate through space in a similar way an electron wave propagates through space .

Science news on Phys.org
cragar said:
When helium 4 is a super fluid can it seep through a glass container , I know it can crawl out of the glass due to the van der walls interaction . But I’ve got mixed answers about the seeping through the glass .

Helium-4 is only a superfluid when cooled to below its lambda point, 2.17 Kelvin (271 C), at which point it enters the Helium II state, yes it will crawl up walls, yes it can seep through glass. Helium is generally used to test leak rates of vacuum chambers and such because it has such a small molecular diameter and is inert, the only inert substance which will leak thrrough pores or cracks at such a small scale - take a look at healium leak detectors. As you'll know if you've ever had a helium balloon it will leak through the pores in that over time, the same happens with glass, both as a gas or as a superfluid.

Addressing the Helium-4 part - Helium-4 is the most frequent, Helium 3 is quite "rare" and has one neutron, 4 has two neutrons, however they're both stable.

thanks for the answer.

Raekwon, the use of Helium as a leak detector is because it is inert and very small. However, this is much different than anything having to do with superfluid 4He. It's used to test leaks when it is in the gas phase, but the thing about superfluid, is that it has a macroscopic quantum phase, which allows it to flow without dissipation.

nnnm4 said:
Raekwon, the use of Helium as a leak detector is because it is inert and very small. However, this is much different than anything having to do with superfluid 4He. It's used to test leaks when it is in the gas phase, but the thing about superfluid, is that it has a macroscopic quantum phase, which allows it to flow without dissipation.

That's what I said?

Helium is generally used to test leak rates of vacuum chambers and such because it has such a small molecular diameter and is inert

Okay maybe I should have separated it a little, but I meant as the gas - hence just saying Helium rather than State II, that's also why I used a balloon as an example, I'm sure we all know nobody fills balloons with superfluids :P

1. What is Helium 4 and how is it different from other types of helium?

Helium 4 is a stable isotope of helium that is composed of 2 protons, 2 neutrons, and 2 electrons. It is the most abundant and stable form of helium and makes up about 99.99986% of all natural helium. It is different from other types of helium, such as Helium 3, because it has a full set of paired electrons, making it a non-polar molecule and less reactive.

2. What is the significance of photon seeping in relation to Helium 4?

Photon seeping is the process of photons, or particles of light, passing through a material. In relation to Helium 4, this process is significant because it allows us to study the behavior and properties of helium at extremely low temperatures, such as near absolute zero. This is important for understanding the fundamental laws of physics and for applications in fields such as superconductivity and quantum computing.

3. How does Helium 4 propagate and what are its unique properties?

Helium 4 propagates as a superfluid, meaning it can flow without any resistance or viscosity. This is due to its unique property of zero-point energy, which allows it to remain in a liquid state at temperatures very close to absolute zero. It also exhibits Bose-Einstein condensation, a phenomenon where a large number of particles behave as a single quantum entity.

4. What are some practical uses of Helium 4 and photon seeping?

Helium 4 has many practical uses, including being used as a coolant in cryogenics, in welding and leak testing, and in research experiments. Photon seeping has applications in optical fibers, telecommunications, and medical imaging. Studying Helium 4 and photon seeping can also lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.

5. Can Helium 4 and photon seeping be used to create energy?

While Helium 4 and photon seeping have many fascinating properties, they cannot be used to create energy directly. However, studying the behavior of these particles can lead to advancements in energy production and storage, such as in the development of more efficient superconductors or quantum computers.