Helium balloon in zero gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of helium balloons in different environments, particularly in zero gravity. It is agreed that helium is less dense than oxygen and therefore rises in our atmosphere. In a zero gravity environment, a helium balloon would remain still due to the lack of a gravitational pull. However, the movement of air inside a spaceship may cause the balloon to move around. The size of the balloon is determined by the pressure difference, and in a pressurized environment like a spaceship, it would remain constant. The balloon would shrink if the pressure is increased and expand if released into the vacuum of space.
relativelyslow
a couple nights ago whilst my presleep thoughts wondered about, i came across a balloon filled with helium. in this thought, i saw the not uncommon sight of it floating up. then i wondered why it went up and not down or some arbitrary direction. i know helium is lighter than our oxygenic atmosphere, so it rises. to explain this, i figured that gravity must pull the heavier substance downward with more force, so the helium struggles to get out of the oxygen, as water poured into vegetable oil sinks. so, as my thoughts progressed, what would happen if there was no gravity? my hypothesis is, if a helium balloon is placed in an oxygen environment that has no gravity, as in space inside a spaceshuttle, it will stay still, not rising or sinking. what further leads me to think this true is the contemplation of which way it would rise, for, without gravity, which way is up? does anyone else agree with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Agreed, the oxygen isn't trying to push the balloon in any particular direction, assuming no "wind". If you waved your hand in front of the balloon you would cause oxygen to bounce into the balloon sending it in motion.

is helium less dense than oxygen (our atmosphere/the space shuttles supply)? if it is, would anything happen due to the difference in pressure? the only thing i can think of is the balloon shrinking once in zero gravity (or would it expand?).

relativelyslow said:
is helium less dense than oxygen (our atmosphere/the space shuttles supply)? if it is, would anything happen due to the difference in pressure? the only thing i can think of is the balloon shrinking once in zero gravity (or would it expand?).

Yes helium is less dense than air at equal pressure. Air is mostly nitrogen (79%) though, and only about 1/5 oxygen (20.9%).

In relativly equal pressure and tempature, the size of the balloon should remain the same. In the shuttle the cabin is pressurized to close to Earth pressures and air mixture. If the baloon was let go into the vacuum of space it would probabally expand until it burst, letting the helium escape rather quickly. This wouldn't have anything to do with the gravitational field though. The same thing would happen here on Earth if we put the balloon in a sufficently large container and sucked out the air.

To answer the first part of your question if you place the balloon anywhere in the cabin of the space shuttle it would remain exactally where it is indefinatly. However as stated the air moving around the inside of the shuttle would soon have the baloon moving about. I think you were right to assume that it would not rise, fall,etc...

The shape of the balloon will change with\without gravity but the size is determined by the pressure difference.
I'm not sure what the pressure inside the space shuttle is but as long as it's constant the balloon size will remain constant.
If the captain decided to increase cabin pressure then the balloon would shrink.
If you flushed the balloon into the vacuum of space it would expand/pop.

lol, God was too fast for me.

ah excellent. i guess that puts that to rest. I am not sure i can think of any more questions pertinent to this. thanks.

1. How does a helium balloon behave in zero gravity?

In zero gravity, a helium balloon will expand and float freely, without any downward force pulling it towards the ground. This is because there is no gravitational force in space, so the balloon will not experience any weight or resistance. It will continue to expand until it reaches equilibrium with the surrounding air pressure.

2. Will a helium balloon pop in zero gravity?

No, a helium balloon will not pop in zero gravity. In space, there is no pressure difference between the inside and outside of the balloon, so there is no force pushing against the balloon's surface. This means that the balloon's material will not be stretched or weakened, and it will not burst.

3. Can a helium balloon be used for propulsion in zero gravity?

While a helium balloon can provide some small amount of propulsion in zero gravity due to its buoyancy, it is not a practical method of propulsion. The force generated by the balloon is very small compared to the size and weight of spacecraft, and it would not be able to provide enough thrust for movement.

4. How long will a helium balloon last in zero gravity?

The lifespan of a helium balloon in zero gravity depends on various factors such as the size and material of the balloon, the surrounding temperature and pressure, and any external forces acting on it. However, in general, a helium balloon can last for several days to a few weeks in zero gravity before it starts to deflate due to diffusion of the helium gas.

5. Can a helium balloon be used for scientific experiments in zero gravity?

Yes, helium balloons are often used for scientific experiments in zero gravity. They can carry payloads and equipment to different altitudes and provide a low-cost and accessible method for conducting experiments in space. Some examples of experiments using helium balloons in zero gravity include studying atmospheric conditions, collecting data on cosmic rays, and testing new technologies.