Helium Balloon Question Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a weather balloon and its ability to lift a package. The question at hand is determining the necessary volume of helium to inflate the balloon in order to lift the total load, taking into account the density of helium and air. The conversation also mentions a formula for calculating the weight of the helium, which is eventually solved by the person asking for help.
JohnnyJohn
Helium Balloon Question...Help!

A 600 kg weather balloon is designed to lift a 4000 kg package. What volume should the balloon have after being inflated with helium at standard temperature and pressure in order that the total load can be lifted? density of helium .179 and air is 1.29.

I have tried looking at problems that are similar and I set it up like this:

weight total = weight package + weight balloon + weight of helium

weight total = Fb = (density of air - density of helium) V g

However i don't know how to find the weight of the helium?

Help greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind...figured it out...

I would approach this problem by first looking at the basic principles of buoyancy. We know that an object will float when the weight of the fluid it displaces is equal to its own weight. In this case, the weight of the balloon and the helium inside it must be equal to the weight of the package in order for it to lift off the ground.

To find the volume of the balloon, we can use the ideal gas law: PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature. We can assume that the temperature is constant at standard temperature and pressure, so we can rearrange the equation to solve for volume:

V = nRT/P

Next, we need to calculate the number of moles of helium needed to lift the package. We can do this by using the weight of the package and the molar mass of helium (4 g/mol) to find the number of moles:

n = m/M

where m is the mass of the package and M is the molar mass of helium.

Now, we can plug in all the values into the equation for volume and solve for V:

V = (m/M)RT/P

Finally, we need to take into account the weight of the balloon itself. We can do this by subtracting the weight of the balloon (600 kg) from the total weight needed to lift (4000 kg). This gives us the weight of the helium needed, which we can then use to calculate the volume of the balloon.

I hope this helps with your calculations and understanding of the problem. Remember to always think about the basic principles and equations that apply to the situation and break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts. Good luck!

What is a helium balloon?

A helium balloon is a type of balloon filled with helium gas, which is lighter than air and causes the balloon to rise.

How long do helium balloons last?

The lifespan of a helium balloon depends on a variety of factors such as the quality of the balloon, the amount of helium used, and the environmental conditions. On average, a helium balloon will last for about 8-12 hours before it starts to deflate.

Why do helium balloons float?

Helium balloons float because helium gas is lighter than air. This causes the balloon to be less dense than the surrounding air, making it rise and float.

How do I dispose of a helium balloon?

Helium balloons are not biodegradable and can be harmful to the environment. It is important to properly dispose of helium balloons by puncturing them and throwing them away in a trash can.

Can helium balloons be refilled?

Yes, helium balloons can be refilled. However, it is important to note that over time, some helium gas will naturally escape from the balloon, so it may not float as well after being refilled.