What is the tension in the cord of a helium balloon tied to a child's wrist?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the tension in a cord attached to a 15 gram balloon filled with 18 L of helium. The solution is 0.050N and the equations used include F buoyancy = F tension + m helium * gravity + m balloon * gravity and F buoyancy = density * gravity * volume displaced. There is confusion about how to calculate the force of buoyancy, but the correct calculation is given as F tension = -(0.018 m^3 * .179) (9.8) - (15/1000kg * 9.8) + Force of Bouyancy.
physicsperson
Helium Balloon Question!

Hey I have a buoyancy question here, anyone know how to solve it? A 15 gram rubber balloon is filled with 18 L of Helium (density 0.179kg/m^3) and tied with a string to a child's wrist. Find the tension in the cord. The answer is 0.050N but what is the solution?
Im not sure if yuo need it but the denisty of air is 1.29kg/m^3. Thanks.

Homework Equations

Equations i used include F buoyancy = F tension + m helium * gravity + m balloon * gravity

and F buoyancy = density * gravity * volume displaced

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve but got completely different answers, what is the volume displaced? is that the right thing to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me. Can you show your calculations?

F tension = (18000 m^3 * .179) (9.8) + (15/1000kg * 9.8) + Force of Bouyancy

But I am not sure how to get the force of buoyancy, can anyone help?

physicsperson said:

I think the buoyancy force is the volume of the balloon, times the density of air * g.

The bouyancy is the difference between the weight of 18 L of air and the weight of the balloon.

(You are TOLD that the volume is 18L.)

ok thanks for the help, i will try this

Still doesn't help. My equations must be wrong. Let's see: the downwards forces are the tension, weight of helium, and weight of balloon, and the upwards force is force of buoyancy. the question is asking for tension force. the answer is apparently 0.050 N. did anyone get that answer, cause i sure cant.thanks..

physicsperson said:

It should be: F tension = -(0.018 m^3 * .179) (9.8) - (15/1000kg * 9.8) + Force of Bouyancy.

fbuoyancy = 1.29*0.018*9.8

Working out the above, gives me 0.05N.

Last edited:
18L = 0.018m^3, not 18000m^3.

lol ur rite

1. What is a helium balloon?

A helium balloon is a type of balloon filled with helium gas, which is lighter than air and causes the balloon to float. It is commonly used for decorations, celebrations, and scientific experiments.

2. Why do helium balloons float?

Helium balloons float because helium gas is less dense than air. This means that the upward force of the helium gas is greater than the downward force of gravity, causing the balloon to rise.

3. How long do helium balloons last?

The lifespan of a helium balloon varies depending on several factors, such as the size of the balloon, the amount of helium used, and the environment it is kept in. On average, helium balloons can last anywhere from 8-24 hours.

4. Can helium balloons be recycled?

Unfortunately, helium balloons cannot be recycled. Once the helium gas escapes, the remaining plastic or latex material can take years to decompose, causing harm to the environment and wildlife.

5. Are there any safety precautions when handling helium balloons?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when handling helium balloons. It is important to never inhale helium gas directly from a balloon, as it can cause serious health problems. Also, do not release helium balloons into the air as they can become litter and harm animals. Properly dispose of deflated balloons by puncturing them and throwing them in the trash.