Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helium Detection Measurement

1. Jan 30, 2014 #1
    Can someone recommend (if possible) a way to detect the amount of helium in a given enclosed space? I'm designing an experiment in which I will need to measure the amount in an otherwise vacuum.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2014 #2

Staff: Mentor

If helium is the only thing in the container, why not just measure the pressure?
  4. Jan 30, 2014 #3

Science Advisor

How to detect the amount depends on the quality of the vacuum and the level of helium in that volume.

Normal Helium mass spectrometer/RGA leak detection methods will work and can be fairly accurate if you have a calibrated measurement device or a calibrated leak to use as a standard.

Find a copy of 'A User's Guide to Vacuum Technology by John F. O'Hanlon" for measurement details.

5. Jan 30, 2014 #4
    Gas Chromatograph or Mass Spectrometer (RGA)
  6. Jan 30, 2014 #5
    Oops. Forgot to mention that the experiment would involve the alpha decay of a radioactive source, hence, I need a way to differentiate between alpha particles and helium.
  7. Jan 31, 2014 #6

Science Advisor

That's out of my level of expertise but to detect helium with a mass spectrometer/RGA you need to ionize it first so it can be accelerated into the mass detector. For charged particles like alphas a silicon detector could be used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted