Helium Energy Level Diagram Analysis w/ Bohr Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to use the Bohr theory approach to calculate the energy levels of neutral Helium. The speaker hypothesizes that the extra energy of Helium compared to Hydrogen is due to repulsion between the two electrons in different states. They use the Coulomb equation to calculate this repulsion energy, but are unable to explain why the experimental energy levels are higher than their calculated result. The other speaker acknowledges the attempt to do actual physics but does not believe the approach is productive.
MonsieurWise
I'm trying to have a guest on the neutral Helium energy level diagram using the Bohr theory approach (just with n, does not include 2nd quantum number or spin). I think it should give me a close result. If not, I have to understand why. I went to NIST website:
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/ASD/levels_form.html
And see the energy level for He I (neutral He) and H I (neutral Hydrogen) in the unit of eV. I discover something: The energy level of Helium is just energy level of Hydrogen plus 10 eV. My hypothesis is that this extra energy comes from the repulsion energy between the 2 electrons of Helium when one in excited state and one in ground state.
My approach is to use the Bohr radius.
For the ground state one (n=1), it would be a radius with one electron seeing 2 positive charge on the inside, so it would be the same as with radius of a ground-state-electron-of-a-singly-ionized-Helium (He II).
For the excited one in n=2, it would see the inside as 1 positive charge (because the ground state electron cancel one charge) and have the same radius as with the n=2 electron in Hydrogen of Bohr.
I calculated the difference between the 2 radius, use the Coulomb equation to get the repulsion energy, and the repulsion come out as about 7.5 eV.
So I say, this mean that to get to the ground state, the outside electron will have to overcome this much extra repulsion energy.
Is my approach wrong? and I can't seem to explain why the experimental energy of NIST is higher than mine, and my approach seems to me too simple. Maybe it's just a coincidence that my result get close.
Could someone please help me...? Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I notice you've been posting questions about Helium recently. I'm sorry you haven't been getting much of a response. I especially found the NIST website to be interesting.

The thing I like about your questions is that your are attempting to do actual physics, namely calculate energy levels of specific atoms. Rather than asking general philosophical questions about things like Many Worlds or the Double Slit experiment. Unfortunately, I can't really encourage you in any attempt to apply the Bohr methods to the Helium atom because I don't believe this line of thinking is productive in any way. But at least I found your information thought-provoking.

Oh...thank you ^^

1. What is a helium energy level diagram?

A helium energy level diagram is a graphical representation of the energy levels of electrons in a helium atom. It shows the arrangement of electrons in different energy levels and the transitions that occur between them.

2. How is Bohr theory used in analyzing helium energy level diagrams?

Bohr theory is used to explain the energy levels and transitions of electrons in an atom. In the case of helium, Bohr's model can help us understand the arrangement of electrons in the two energy levels of the atom and how they transition between them.

3. What information can be obtained from a helium energy level diagram?

A helium energy level diagram can provide information about the energy levels and transitions of electrons in the atom. It can also show the relative energy levels and the number of electrons in each level.

4. How does the number of electrons in an atom affect its energy level diagram?

The number of electrons in an atom determines the arrangement of the electrons in the energy levels. In helium, the two electrons occupy the first and second energy levels, with the first level being filled completely and the second level having only two electrons.

5. Can helium energy level diagrams be used to predict chemical reactions?

While helium energy level diagrams can provide information about the electronic structure of an atom, they cannot be used to predict chemical reactions. Chemical reactions involve the interactions between atoms and their electrons, which cannot be fully determined from energy level diagrams alone.