1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helium gas thermo problem

1. May 12, 2005 #1
    a 2.00 mol sample of helium gas at 300K and 0.400atm pressure is compressed isothermally to 1.20atm
    Find the volume of the gas, work done on the gas and the energy transfered by heat

just wondering how to approach this question, and what formulae i hould use where?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2005 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The formula to use is the one most obvious formula: the ideal gas law formula. It has three variation, called Charles' Law, Boyle' Law and Gaye-Lusac's Law, but I recommend sticking with the ideal gas formula. (Starts with "PV," remember?)

In an isothermal compression, the temperature stays the same, so there is no change in internal energy, therfore, the work on the gas must equal the heat given off by the gas.

Since ideal isothermal processes are hyperbolic, the work done must be a "natural log" function of the change in volume. You have probably seen only one natural log function so far, am I right?
  4. May 13, 2005 #3
    thankyou for your help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?