Energy Transfer Mechanism in Helium Neon Gas Laser

In summary, Helium Neon Gas laser emits light by transferring energy from an excited helium atom to a neon atom. The helium atom can't decay to ground state by way of photon emission because the transition is forbidden quantum mechanically.
Zahid Iftikhar
I need help to understand the energy transfer mechanism in Helium Neon Gas laser. When helium atom is excited and staying in its metastable state, it is said to have collision with neon atom and thus transfers its 20.61eV energy plus some of its kinetic energy 0.05eV to enable neon atom to reach its metastabel state of 20.66eV. I can't understand this mechanism. To my understanding , as the helium atom decays it must release a photon of 20.61eV. This photon can't be absorbed by neon atom as it does not have such an energy level. So how is this energy transferred? Pl help.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you really want to describe this process as a photon transfer process, you have to take in mind that the photon exchanged is not a real photon but a virtual photon. As this photon exists only for a very short time, due to time energy uncertainty relation, it's energy needs not to be exactly 20.61 eV. Another point is that even if a helium atom would emit a real photon of 20.61 eV, if the neon atom moves at a relative speed to the helium atom, it will see a Doppler shifted frequency corresponding to a different energy. This energy may well be 20.66 eV.

Thanks for the reply> This explanation is still beyond my understanding. Pl try some simplistic view.

Zahid Iftikhar said:
I need help to understand the energy transfer mechanism in Helium Neon Gas laser. When helium atom is excited and staying in its metastable state, it is said to have collision with neon atom and thus transfers its 20.61eV energy plus some of its kinetic energy 0.05eV to enable neon atom to reach its metastabel state of 20.66eV. I can't understand this mechanism. To my understanding , as the helium atom decays it must release a photon of 20.61eV. This photon can't be absorbed by neon atom as it does not have such an energy level. So how is this energy transferred? Pl help.

The helium atom can't decay to ground state by way of photon emission because the transition is forbidden quantum mechanically. Helium's 1s2s excited state has an energy level that is very similar to neon's 1s22p55s state, and so it can transfer this energy through collisions with neon and return to ground state. The interaction has to be electron-electron and so it is described by quantum electrodynamics where electrons exchange energy in the form of virtual photons.

What DrDu was describing is how the relative energies between the atoms vary due to their relative velocities. In a HeNe gas laser (and any system of gas in general), there is a large distribution of velocities for the gas particles. Think of the difference between a small rock hitting the windshield of your car when you're stationary versus when you're driving at highway speeds. There is a corresponding energy of the impact based on how fast you're moving and how fast the rock is moving. In quantum mechanics the energy to make the kind of transition mentioned above has to be exactly that energy, so you'll some rocks hitting too soft, some too hard, and hopefully most hitting just right to get more neon in the excited state than the ground state. I hope this makes sense for you, I tried including some keywords so that you can search further on your own if necessary.

<3

Thank you very much DrDu and Marisa5 for your kind reply. It has solved my problem.
Kind regards. Best wishes for PF for being so helpful and supportive.

Likes Marisa5

1. How does a Helium Neon gas laser work?

A Helium Neon gas laser works by using a mixture of helium and neon gases inside a tube. A high voltage is applied to the tube, causing the gas molecules to become excited and emit photons. These photons bounce back and forth between two mirrors at each end of the tube, amplifying the light until a coherent laser beam is produced.

2. What is the energy transfer mechanism in a Helium Neon gas laser?

The energy transfer mechanism in a Helium Neon gas laser is through the process of population inversion. This occurs when the helium and neon atoms are excited by the high voltage, causing them to release photons. These photons then stimulate other excited atoms to release more photons, resulting in a chain reaction that amplifies the light energy.

3. How is the energy transfer controlled in a Helium Neon gas laser?

The energy transfer in a Helium Neon gas laser is controlled by adjusting the gas mixture and the voltage applied to the tube. By changing the ratio of helium to neon and the voltage, the number of excited atoms and the intensity of the laser beam can be altered.

4. What are the advantages of using a Helium Neon gas laser?

Some advantages of using a Helium Neon gas laser include its ability to produce a continuous and stable laser beam, its relatively low cost and simplicity, and its versatility in applications such as laser light shows, barcode scanners, and scientific research.

5. Are there any limitations to the energy transfer mechanism in a Helium Neon gas laser?

One limitation of the energy transfer mechanism in a Helium Neon gas laser is its inefficient use of energy. Only a small percentage of the input energy is converted into laser light, with the rest being released as heat. Additionally, the gas mixture can become depleted over time, reducing the efficiency of the laser.