Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helix along a helix

1. Nov 29, 2009 #1
    hi all,
    I am wondering how to mathematically describe a curve formed by having a helix tracing out a helical trajectory? Any idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2009 #2
    So, I mean the mathematical description of a super-helix.

4. Nov 29, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Any helix "traces out a helical trajectory"! Do you mean a helix whose axis is a helix?

I would do it this way: first assuming the "base helix"- that is the one forming the axis of the helix we want- has the z-axis as axis, we can write it as x= R cos(t), y= R sin(t), z= ct[/itex] where "c" controls the "pitch" of the helix. Now, the hard part: Find the normal and bi-normal to that curve. Those you can use as axes to give the same parametric equations for the "real" helix you want, with, say, radius r and pitch d. The parametric equations for that helix will be the sum of the two sets of parametric equations- you get the point on the axial helix and then add the components out to the "real" helix.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  5. Nov 29, 2009 #4
    HallsofIvy, thanks. That's what I meant.
    I think it is the way to go, but I do not know things like "binormal" etc. I should learn it now. Do you have textbooks to recommend for learning these things? Or standard text which teach you how to do these super helices things? Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook