Finding the Radius of Curvature for a Helix: What is the Formula?

In summary, the radius of curvature of a helix is given by the equation: R = r(cos)^2. You can find this by integrating the parametric curve around the cylinder.
Jonny_trigonometry
I was wondering how to find the radius of curvature of a helix. If it's circling around the z axis, the radius of it's projection onto the xy axis is a circle of radius r. Let one full cycle of the helix around the z-axis cover a distance d along the z-axis, then what is R, the radius of curvature of the helix in terms of d and r? I know it must be larger than d + r... Is there a handy formula for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonny_trigonometry said:
I was wondering how to find the radius of curvature of a helix. If it's circling around the z axis, the radius of it's projection onto the xy axis is a circle of radius r. Let one full cycle of the helix around the z-axis cover a distance d along the z-axis, then what is R, the radius of curvature of the helix in terms of d and r? I know it must be larger than d + r... Is there a handy formula for this?
Hmm. From what I know about these, the equations are in the form of:

[tex]\vec{r}=\left<r\cos{t},r\sin{t},\alpha t\right>[/tex]

You know the radius projected onto the x-y plane, and also that d is proportional to the period. Assuming you know the formula for the radius of curvature:

[tex]R=\frac{1}{\left|\kappa\right|}[/tex]

Last edited:
hmm, ya. The parametric curve looks good, but what is kappa?
forget the "radius of curvature", what I mean is radius...

I guess what I really want to know is what is the radius R of the circle that is made from the length of a string that is wound around a cyninder with radius r as it spans a distance d (along the longitudinal axis of the cylinder) to make one cycle around the cylinder.

If i have to integrate the parametric curve to find the length, then I guess that's what I have to do... I just don't like the complexity involved in doing so, and I figured someone has already done that and found a relationship between the variables R, d and r.

Jonny_trigonometry said:
hmm, ya. The parametric curve looks good, but what is kappa?
forget the "radius of curvature", what I mean is radius...

I guess what I really want to know is what is the radius R of the circle that is made from the length of a string that is wound around a cyninder with radius r as it spans a distance d (along the longitudinal axis of the cylinder) to make one cycle around the cylinder.

If i have to integrate the parametric curve to find the length, then I guess that's what I have to do... I just don't like the complexity involved in doing so, and I figured someone has already done that and found a relationship between the variables R, d and r.
I might be doing this wrong, but this is what it looks like:

[tex]2\pi R=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\sqrt{r^{2}+\alpha^{2}}\,dt=2\pi\sqrt{r^{2}+\alpha^{2}}=2\pi\sqrt{r^{2}+\frac{d^{2}}{4\pi^{2}}}[/tex]

Which would represent the length of the helix (I calculated that by the definition of arc length). Now you know that the length above (circumference) is really 2piR where R is the radius of the circle you want. Is this what you were getting at or did I misinterpret your question?

Last edited:
thanks! this is exactly what i was looking for. I reviewed arc length in 3d and checked your solution. It must be correct. I didn't think it would be that easy, I thought there would be a triple integral for some reason. Eh, I got a c in calc 3, so I'm not proficient enough in doing problems like this. Now that I think of it, triple integrals really don't show up unless you're calculating volume, and doubles are usually for area, or to simplify a more difficult single integral... thanks a lot

Helix Radius

I've seen vaiants of formulas such as amcavoy suggests in his second post. They do the job, but it bothered me that a Pathagorean approach was used when trig should offer a streamlined version. This is what I formulated:

R = r(cos)^2

where the cos is derived from the slope of the curve around the cylinder.

I recognize that amcavoy did in fact introduce trig into his forms, suggested in his first post, but without squaring the cos, the value for t is unattainable.

Regards, Bob

bobb513 said:
I've seen vaiants of formulas such as amcavoy suggests in his second post. They do the job, but it bothered me that a Pathagorean approach was used when trig should offer a streamlined version. This is what I formulated:

R = r(cos)^2

where the cos is derived from the slope of the curve around the cylinder.

I recognize that amcavoy did in fact introduce trig into his forms, suggested in his first post, but without squaring the cos, the value for t is unattainable.

Regards, Bob

I've seen that result quoted before in a textbook, unfortunately the derivation wasn't given, and so far it eludes me. Any chance you could provide a step by step explanation of how the R = r(cos)^2 result was obtained?

DeltaT

Well, the curvature of a curve in R3 is [tex]\kappa = \frac{\lvert \vec r' \times \vec r'' \rvert}{\lvert \vec r' \rvert^3}[/tex], and using [tex]R = \frac{1}{\lvert \kappa \rvert}[/tex] should give you the radius of curvature.

adriank said:
Well, the curvature of a curve in R3 is [tex]\kappa = \frac{\lvert \vec r' \times \vec r'' \rvert}{\lvert \vec r' \rvert^3}[/tex], and using [tex]R = \frac{1}{\lvert \kappa \rvert}[/tex] should give you the radius of curvature.

Thanks, I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I was particularly hoping to avoid using vectors, and was hoping for a solution using ordinary algebra and trigonometry. A previous poster, bobb513 appears to be saying he reached his result that way, where the angle involved is the slope of the curve around the cylinder.

I would appreciate any help in reaching the R = r(cos)^2 result just using the trig functions and simple algebra if possible.

I would just add, I don't need this for any specific purpose, other than personal curiosity. It is a result I've seen stated several times, but so far I have never seen it derived in a way I could follow.

Regards

DeltaT

Hi

Ok, I've found a website that has allowed me to find the solution I wanted.

http://ca.geocities.com/web_sketches/calculators/baluster_radius/baluster_radius.html

From the result given on that site for R, and using the fact that cos(pitch) can be found from the geometry given, it is easy to show that:

r = R cos^2 (pitch)

which was the result I wanted to be able to find.

However, there is still a slight catch. I can follow the math on that page, and I was even able to extend it to reach the trigonometric result. However, I can't see why the opening statement is true:

Helix_Length = C * c/Helix_Length

I can't think of a justification for that statement, can anyone here see what I'm missing?

DeltaT

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a helix and radius of curvature?

A helix is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a spiral or coil. It is formed by a curved line or surface that wraps around a central axis. The radius of curvature refers to the distance from the center of the helix to its outer edge, or the distance from the axis to the helix's curve.

2. How are helix and radius of curvature related?

The radius of curvature is a key characteristic of a helix. It determines the shape and size of the helix and is directly related to the tightness or looseness of the helix's coils. A smaller radius of curvature results in a tighter helix, while a larger radius of curvature creates a looser helix.

3. What is the difference between helix and spiral?

Helix and spiral are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference between the two. A helix has a constant radius of curvature and does not change in size as it moves along its axis. A spiral, on the other hand, has a varying radius of curvature and expands or contracts as it moves along its axis.

4. How are helix and radius of curvature used in science?

Helix and radius of curvature are important concepts in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. They are used to describe the structure of molecules, such as DNA and proteins, and to understand the behavior of waves, such as sound and light, which often follow a helical path.

5. Can helix and radius of curvature be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, helix and radius of curvature have practical applications in various industries. For example, the helical shape of springs allows them to store and release energy, making them useful in mechanical devices. In architecture, the helical shape is often used in the design of staircases and ramps to optimize space and create visually appealing structures.