Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Hellas Basin

1. Feb 19, 2017 #1
    Where exactly on Mars is the best spot to set up camp for a colony? I've been reading about the Hellas Basin, which seems favorable regarding asmospheric pressure and ability to host liquid water (0 to 50 degrees F). However, it's located halfway between the Martian equator and the south pole, which would likely make it colder than a spot right on the equator.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2017 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Not sure if warmth pressure and liquid water would be priorities for location. With enough power, those can easily be created in necessary amounts.

I'd look for easy access to rare minerals necessary for whatever technology is in use.

4. Feb 20, 2017 #3

Al_

If we filled Hellas Basin with SF6 Gas (Sulphur Hexaflouride), because of it's high density would we be able to do without a pressure suit at the lowest point?

5. Feb 20, 2017 #4
    That makes sense. Have you heard of any specific proposed locations? I couldn't find anything about that on the Mars One website.

6. Feb 20, 2017 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

At 146 g/mol instead of 44 (CO2), it would have a scale height of ~3.3 km. To get the pressure to 0.2 bar (to have a pressure equivalent to the oxygen partial pressure on Earth) you would have to be ~17 km below zero. No way, the Hellas basin is just 7 km deep.

To make it worse, the SF6 would mix with the remaining atmosphere over time. Oh, and the 1013 tons of SF6 would be challenging as well.

7. Feb 20, 2017 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How many Mars colony threads do we need here?

8. Feb 20, 2017 #7

Al_

Lets have some Moon colony threads! I'll start one.

9. Feb 20, 2017 #8
    I didn't want to be accused once again of hijacking another thread.

10. Feb 20, 2017 #9
    Did you make it yet?

11. Mar 30, 2017 #10

Al_

12. Mar 31, 2017 #11

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Let's keep the posts in this thread on-topic; namely, on the Hellas Basin of Mars.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted