Hellman-Feynman Theorem: Coulomb Repulsion & Attraction

• Thread starter Septim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the binding energy of the ion H2+ is -16.3 eV at the equilibrium separation 0.106 nm. The contribution to the energy from the Coulomb repulsion of the nuclei is +13.58 eV and the contribution from the Coulomb attraction of the electron to the nuclei is -29.88 eV. The Hellman-Feynman theorem says, in effect, that the force between the nuclei in a molecule can be calculated from the electrostatic repulsion between the nuclei and the electrostatic attraction of the nuclei to the electron distribution. According to this theorem, where must the squared modulus of the electron wave function in H2+ have its maximum value?
Septim
I have came across an interesting question in the book Laser Physics by Milonni, the question is as follows:

The binding energy of the ion H2+ ( the energy required to separate to infinity the two protons and the electron) is -16.3 eV at the equilibrium separation 0.106 nm.
(a) What is the contribution to the energy from the Coulomb repulsion of the nuclei?
(b) What is the contribution to the energy from the Coulomb attraction of the electron to the nuclei?
(c) The Hellman-Feynman theorem says, in effect, that the force between the nuclei in a molecule can be calculated from the electrostatic repulsion between the nuclei and the electrostatic attraction of the nuclei to the electron distribution. According to this theorem, where must the squared modulus of the electron wave function in H2+ have its maximum value?
(d) Estimate the rotational constant Be for H2+, and compare your result with the value 29.8 cm-1 tabulated in Herzberg's Spectra of Diatomic Molecules.

I have found in the part (a)to be +13.58 eV by the familiar formula for Coulomb potential and part (b) to be -29.88 eV. By subtracting the result of part (a) from the given binding energy. Firstly I would like to ask if these are correct and secondly I have no idea on how to proceed in part (c) as I have only taken an introductory course on quantum physics. Can you give me some hints? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You get the implied binding energy, so the values seem to be correct.

With respect to c), the idea is that you can calculate the force on some given nucleus (or nuclei) along some coordinate by checking the derivative of the total energy with respect to that coordinate. Then you can go on and assume a general electron distribution and check what the resulting force looks like. You will get some force depending on the electron distribution. You are looking for an equilibrium situation, so the resulting force has to vanish.

So you just solve that equation and find the electron distribution for which the resulting force vanishes and you will find the position where the squared modulus will have its maximum.

I did not comprehend this to full extend, can you explain it more precisely preferably with equations ?

Hmm, doing the whole math will get quite lengthy.

Did you by chance check the wikipedia entry on the Hellmann-Feynman theorem (which is not as bad as some articles in wiki are) and have a look at the molecular forces application example?

If there is something unclear with that, it might be easier to discuss that special point directly.

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look at the article on Wikipedia and state the points unclear to me.

Sorry to invoke this thread again, but should the electron cloud mostly reside halfway between the two nuclei. I inferred this reason from the reasoning that the force on the electron should be zero at equilibrium classically (treating it as a point particle), so switching to QM the wave function modulus square should be maximum at this particular point.

1. What is the Hellman-Feynman Theorem?

The Hellman-Feynman Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the change in the energy of a quantum mechanical system to the change in the external potential. It was developed by scientists Murray Gell-Mann and Richard Feynman in the 1950s.

2. What does the Hellman-Feynman Theorem tell us about Coulomb repulsion and attraction?

The Hellman-Feynman Theorem tells us that the change in the energy of a quantum mechanical system due to Coulomb repulsion or attraction is directly related to the change in the external potential. In other words, the strength of the Coulomb interaction is determined by the external potential.

3. How is the Hellman-Feynman Theorem used in quantum mechanics?

The Hellman-Feynman Theorem is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy of a system and its response to external changes in potential. It is also used to calculate the forces between charged particles, such as electrons, in a quantum mechanical system.

4. Can the Hellman-Feynman Theorem be applied to other interactions besides Coulomb repulsion and attraction?

Yes, the Hellman-Feynman Theorem can be applied to any interaction that can be described by a potential energy function. This includes other fundamental forces such as the strong and weak nuclear forces.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Hellman-Feynman Theorem?

The Hellman-Feynman Theorem has many applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science. It is used to calculate the energy and forces in molecular systems, as well as in the design and development of new materials. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum computers and other quantum technologies.