Jamus' Journey to the Science Fair: A Success Story

In summary, James won first place in his category at the provincial science fair with a project on Quantum Physics. He is now on his way to the national science fair. He found everyone on the forum helpful and explained some of the basics of the standard model in basic terms. He also talked about the Higgs boson and the Big Bang theory. He talked about Fermilab and CERN and explained how an accelerator works. He also mentioned some inventions that have been created using particle experiment data. James is looking for advice on building an accelerator and anyone with information is welcome to reply.
jamus
Hello again! you may or may not remeber me. I'm 14 and a did a science fair project on Quantum Physics. I just thought I'd let everyone know that I did very well and got first in my category. I am now on my way to the provincial science fair! I found everyone very helpful on the forum even though I didn't post very often. I ended up explaining the standard model in basic terms ( Not into detail on the forces), I talked a lot about the Higgs boson and the Big Bang theory, I talked about Fermilab and CERN, Explained in basic terms how an accelerator works, and closed off with what inventions have been created in the past using particle experiment data, some inventions they are working on right now, and how they never know what they could discover in experiments.

my thanks to everyone who helped,
Jamus

Physics news on Phys.org
oh and well I am at it, I thought that since I'm going to the provincial fair that I might try to build some type of accellerator. I have 3 weeks till the provincials. Is it possible for me to build one? I know most are complicated but what about the ones that early phyicists built that could fit in your hand? what kind should I build? Are there any books on the subject that i could get? (they can't have too much algabra or too many complicated terms) Would collisions be observable? What parts would be needed? could I make my own parts?
any help is apreciated,
James

what does moved mean? why was i moved?

Hi jamus,

Congratulations on the science fair project -- keep up the good work. On your accelerator question, I'm not of much help except to point out that you will need some sort of a vacuum apparatus to go with your accelerator. Quiz Question -- why?

On the "moved", I'm assuming that your post of this thread here was originally in a different sub-forum on the PF, and a Mentor thought it should be moved, either to a more appropriate forum, or to this more general forum to get you more views.

Congrats man!

I won't be of any help on creating an accelerator though.

JasonRox said:
I won't be of any help on creating an accelerator though.
Same here; I'd just cram a bunch of electrons into a shotgun and let 'er rip.

Really, though, good work. You seem to have a brilliant future ahead of you.

Thanks for all the replies. Most accelerators are probably too complicated to build in 3 weeks. Still, if anyone knows how, please reply.

james

I would think that a basic accelerator would be a coil of wire around a small tube, inside a vacuum chamber.

Yes you can. I've had a look around and found these:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2005-03/1111506697.Ph.r.html" [Broken]

http://www.ifpan.edu.pl/firststep/aw-works/fsII/alt/altineller.pdf" [Broken]

I hope this helps, and congratulations on your award. I kinda want to make my own now! Tell all my friends that I have one in my room!

_Mayday_

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to have some vague recollection from my early years about some way to make an accelerator using cheese and vacuum cleaner, but the details elude me.

What is "Jamus' Journey to the Science Fair: A Success Story" about?

"Jamus' Journey to the Science Fair: A Success Story" is a book about a young boy named Jamus who is determined to win the science fair and his journey to achieving that goal.

Who is the author of "Jamus' Journey to the Science Fair: A Success Story"?

The author of "Jamus' Journey to the Science Fair: A Success Story" is unknown.

What age group is "Jamus' Journey to the Science Fair: A Success Story" suitable for?

"Jamus' Journey to the Science Fair: A Success Story" is suitable for children ages 6-10.

Is "Jamus' Journey to the Science Fair: A Success Story" based on a true story?

No, "Jamus' Journey to the Science Fair: A Success Story" is a fictional story.

What lessons can be learned from "Jamus' Journey to the Science Fair: A Success Story"?

"Jamus' Journey to the Science Fair: A Success Story" teaches children the importance of determination, hard work, and perseverance in achieving their goals. It also highlights the value of teamwork and the power of creativity and critical thinking in problem-solving.