1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello All (new here)

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1

Wax

Hi all, I'm new here.
    I'm reentering college and I'm looking to major in Chemical Engineering. I have a few concersn and I was wondering if someone could help me out.

I was wondering if anyone here knows any universities that offer academic help for higher level Chemical Engineering courses such as Thermodynamics. I know there will always be one subject that will boggle my mind and it would be helpful if the institution provided tutors for those tough subjects.

Also, I was wondering how much of a tough time I would have if I don't remember any of my calculus? It's been over two years since I've seen that stuff but when I last took it, I made an A in both the first and second calculus.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2009 #2

Wax

Are you going back to school too?

4. Jun 29, 2009 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure where you are planning to go to school, Wax, but most colleges offer tutoring. If you feel you are going to need it, I strongly urge you to find a tutor before you really need one. That way you can have time to find someone who you feel suits you.

Thermo is great...hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

And of course, there's always PF for great help :smile:. Welcome!

5. Jun 29, 2009 #4

Wax

I was looking at Texas Tech. I know all schools offer tutoring for math and chemistry but most don't offer higher level help for the tougher subjects. I was hoping to find some schools that offer that type of help. I'm not looking for someone to spoon feed me but just a place to turn to when you have questions. I remember when i was back in school, I would generally stop by the chemistry tutor center when I got stuck. If there was never a chemistry tutor center, I don't think I would have made it out alive. :rofl:

6. Jun 29, 2009 #5
    There is generally tutoring support for lower year courses but very little to none (other then your peers) for upper year courses.

7. Jun 29, 2009 #6

Wax

That's what I figured. I guess I'll just have to make some friends.

8. Jun 29, 2009 #7

djeitnstine

Gold Member

The simple answer to that is...you will have a tough time. Thermo dynamics also uses calculus just to let you know. That being said, any and every engineering/science degree uses calculus to some extent.

Just go and study up on it to refresh your memory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook