Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello All!

1. Jul 31, 2005 #1
    Hello guys and perhaps girls, I joined your site some days ago and finally got the courage to say hello. Everyone is so knowledgable! Im a youngster teenager with designs on obtaining a PHD in some area of theoretical physics. And hope to someday understand string theory.

I do not quite understand the heirachy of this forum, what is a science adviser or savy, super mentor and homework helper? Do Mentors get moderative powers or just cool icons?

And finally, does Dr Michio Kaku's forum actaully get traffic?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Welcome Sir Deenicus!
    Greg Bernhardt owns PF, and is administrator along with chroot.
    Super Mentors&Mentors moderate, and may issue warnings and decide to ban members after consulting other Mentors.
    "Science Advisors" are given that title by the mentors if the member has shown himself through his posts to possess solid knowledge within some area of knowledge.
    (Many of the Mentors (and also Advisors) on PF are professional scientists)
    "Homework helper" is awarded if you have consistently shown an eagerness and ability to help out other students.

Gurus are voted for by all members at PF each year.

Welcome to PF!

4. Jul 31, 2005 #3

Lisa!

Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

5. Jul 31, 2005 #4
    Welcome Sir_Deenicus, enjoy your stay.

6. Jul 31, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Excellent explanation Arildno!!

Welcome to PF Sir Deenicus!

Yes, Dr Kaku's forum gets traffic, it's just, uhm...not moderated in quite the same way as PF is.

7. Jul 31, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Hi, Sir Deenicus

If you want to understand ST there some brilliant people here to help, i prefer
    to stay sane, I think PF will over shadow any forum on science, because the
    best people are here.

8. Jul 31, 2005 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Sir_Deenicus! :biggrin: Good luck with those STDs...

(String Theory Devotees, that is :wink:)

9. Jul 31, 2005 #8
    hehe, thanks for the replies guys. I guess I should also say a bit about myself. J'ai dix-neuf ans, I have 19 years. Im a third year undergraduate studying in the UK who will be starting on a degree in math with a focus/minor in astrophysics this upcoming semester after half of a year doing comp sci and 2 years doing electrical engineering. In the UK, time is not wasted on nonseense unrelated courses, thus all the credits I have gained do not transfer being specific to EE. Meaning , much to the frustration of my mother, that I will again be a year one student. This time though, I am quite certain I have it right - this is what I spent all my free time studying on my own, to the detriment of my old degree...

I did however, have to strike a deal with my mother, because I have wasted so much (oh so much, I am suprised I have not yet been disowned!) of her money, before I could switch.. I can switch only if I double major in Finance, which leaves me with quite a work load. Nonetheless, I shall own these degrees' rear portions quite royally. Take it back to school as they say. :biggrin:

I'm also into breakdancing, which thanks to physics I am able to progress quite rapidly in. For example, there is a move where you swing your right leg clockwise and up while you go on your left arm. Almost like a cartwheel, except you stop it short and should be rigid and balanced straight up on your left arm, you then twist your legs and switch to your right arm, you should end up spinning on the heel of your right hand. The 1990.

Thanks to physics I was able to learn the technique quite quickly. Because of the torque provided by originally swinging the right leg, I should be spinning clockwise. To keep the spinning I need to twist the left leg in the same direction or due to the conservation of angular momentum i will twist and fall on my face. I switch arms for similar reasons, it is more difficult to remain rigid without doing so, id just end twisting around my waist and again losing momentum and falling. By switching arms I am able to keep the motion and even help it along by twisting my lower body in the same direction as the upper. Thanks to physics I was able to notice all this quite quickly instead of having to work towards such by mere trial and error......

I also like programming, basketball and chicken. :biggrin:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  10. Jul 31, 2005 #9
    Indeed! I noticed that quite early. It will take me some time to get used to so much technical expertise and just plain general talent in one place.

I read ZapperZ's "So you want to be a phyisicists" journal series and will go back to read his journey as a physicist later. Quite an informative and interesting journal he keeps.

Edit - I take it then, that posts in the Lounge general dicsusion forum do not count or something?

11. Jul 31, 2005 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Posts in the General Discussion forum do not count toward total post count because if they did, no one would post in the rest of the forum.

As you will notice, posts in General Discussion are generally of a more scientific and higher caliber than the so called "scientific" sections. :tongue:

12. Aug 1, 2005 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

<cough> Ahem...yes, that's true...

Welcome to PF, Sir Deen.

13. Aug 1, 2005 #12
    Wow - you can do the 1990? I've seen that done once. It was very impressive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?