What motivated me to pursue a Physics degree at 30 years old?

• Thread starter LyleJr
  • Start date
LyleJr
Hi everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. I am Lyle, and I live in Little Rock, AR.

I went to college way back in 2005 right out of high school to study math, but things didn't go very well for me. All my fault, and long story short, I was brunt out on school. I should have taken some time off and evaluated things, but instead I rushed ahead and ended up with a BS in Digital Filmmaking.

I then went on to grad school and now have an MFA in the same field. I'm working in that industry and I do like it, but I don't feel any real satisfaction from my work. Just over a year ago, I began to realize that my real interests in life are not where my current job path lies. I missed science and math, and so I decided to go back to school (still working full-time though) as a part-time student working on a Physics degree.

Ultimately, I would like to get a Physics related PhD and do something good with my life for the world. I'm just wrapping up my first semester here at a local university. I had two courses, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers 1" and "Calculus 1". It looks like I will be getting A's in both classes. I have to really bomb both finals to mess things up. So far I am absolutely loving it.

It's a lot of work, taking classes in the evening and working during the day, but I feel good that it will be worth it in the end. If I do go on to get a doctorate, I will be around 35-36 years old when I finish. If I work to the full retirement age here in the US, then gives me a 30 year career in science which seems pretty good to me.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!