Analog Electrical Engineer Explores Physics & Astrophysics

In summary, the author is an electrical engineer who has been self-teaching himself about astrophysics and particle physics. He has worked in the computer graphics field for many years and has used Processing and MATLAB as prototyping platforms. He also uses Julia, a new numerical computing language. Lastly, he is happy to be not the only one with imaginary numbers and exclamation points.
Guy Madison
I am an analog electrical engineer by trade engaged in self teaching myself Analysis / Particle Physics and Astrophysics for the last couple of years.

I have worked in the computer graphics field for almost 30 years, ranging from hardware / chip design / device drivers and compilers with 30 patents along the way.

I wrote gobs of the original OpenCL framework while working for that big company in Cupertino, a lot of my spare time spent programming is in simulation using graphics processors, multithreaded programs and big number mathematics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

For OpenGL you might be interested in the Processing IDE with lots of OpenGL java examples to create interactive art in java. Its very light-weight for a professional programmer but still fun to play with and to use for prototyping ideas. That's my main use for it. Its has a couple of dozen third party libraries the most notable is PixelFlow which can generate some amazing interactive graphics examples.

For numerical computing, there's a new kid on the block called Julia (julialang.org). It looks to be a replacement for MATLAB with a lot of interoperability features for C, R, Python and Fortran.

Lastly, there is also the OpenSourcePhysics (www.compadre.org/osp), a collections of java code to do physical simulations using several ODE solvers. Comes with many examples and works with Eclipse of Netbeans IDE.

Thanks!

I have played with Processing, it was fun for small stuff... but it had no debug capabilities other than printf's so I gave up on that and just write event based loop apps in SDL or Cocoa on OS X. I worked on the guts for OpenGL and OpenCL for years so I know my way around that... my language of choice is C / C++ as all my tools and background are there so it just makes it easier to use.

I splurged this year and purchased the home version of Mathematica, once you get a bit of it... the rest is intuitive. I now use that as a prototyping platform, it's supported well documented and since I paid for it.. I should be using it.

OpenSourcePhysics looks cool, I will dig into that.

Thanks again.

Likes jedishrfu
From an old R.F analog peeps, welcome my friend! I love the hardware aspect too! Every once in a while I will awake with a L,C, or R stuck in my ear or hair! jk :wink:

Welcome my friend,

ES

I get those imaginary numbers and transformations stuck in my head also, my daughter wants to be a math major.. I checked out the requirements and realized analog EE's only need 4 additional classes to get a math major!

Guy Madison said:
I get those imaginary numbers and transformations stuck in my head also, my daughter wants to be a math major.. I checked out the requirements and realized analog EE's only need 4 additional classes to get a math major!

I am happy I'm not the only one! My wife calls me a cuckoo bird or a nutzoid! :oldeek:

I wouldn't mind those pesky imaginary numbers except for those sharp exclamation points, sometimes they feel like cactus needles or something!

Anyway I'm glad I'm not the only one! :oldshy:

Again, Enjoy and be happy GM!

Electron spin..

1. What is the role of an Analog Electrical Engineer in Physics and Astrophysics?

An Analog Electrical Engineer plays a crucial role in physics and astrophysics research by designing, building, and testing electronic systems and components used in experiments and observations. They are responsible for creating and maintaining instrumentation that allows scientists to collect and analyze data, as well as troubleshoot any technical issues that may arise.

2. How does an Analog Electrical Engineer contribute to the study of the universe?

An Analog Electrical Engineer's expertise in designing and building precision instruments is essential in the study of the universe. They are involved in projects such as developing sensors and detectors for space-based telescopes, designing control systems for spacecraft, and creating data acquisition systems for ground-based observatories. Their work allows scientists to make accurate measurements and gather valuable data about the universe.

3. What skills does an Analog Electrical Engineer need to work in physics and astrophysics?

An Analog Electrical Engineer needs a strong background in electronics and electrical engineering, as well as a solid understanding of physics and astrophysics principles. They should also have excellent problem-solving skills and be able to work well in a team. Attention to detail and the ability to think critically are also important qualities for an Analog Electrical Engineer working in this field.

4. Can an Analog Electrical Engineer also work in other scientific fields?

Yes, an Analog Electrical Engineer's skills and expertise can be applied to a variety of scientific fields, including biology, chemistry, and environmental science. They can also work in industries such as healthcare, telecommunications, and aerospace. The principles of electronics and electrical engineering are applicable in many different areas, making an Analog Electrical Engineer a valuable asset in various scientific and technological fields.

5. What are some recent developments that an Analog Electrical Engineer has contributed to in the field of physics and astrophysics?

An Analog Electrical Engineer's work is constantly evolving and advancing, with new developments being made all the time. Some recent contributions include the design of detectors for gravitational wave experiments, development of new imaging systems for telescopes, and advancements in data acquisition and analysis methods for space missions. They are also involved in designing and testing technologies for future space missions and exploring new ways to improve instrumentation for studying the universe.