Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello and I need help

1. Jun 26, 2008 #1
    Hello I am new to these forums and probably will be here for a long time. I am looking for a 3D model of a steam turbine I can play with in either CATIA, ANSYS, or Solidworks. I just want to run thermodynamic simulations and not modify any mechanical or structural components. I have been looking for 3 months with no luck. The major manufacturers won't give me a "basic" 3D model without any of their modifications. Seems folks are generally selfish and unhelpful in corporate bureaucracies.

Any help i.e. a 3D model will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2008 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I don't think you understand what it is you are asking for when it comes to the reaction you are getting from manufacturers. You are asking for models they created. To them, you are someone who wants to take their work and reverse engineer it, to modify it. For what end? They don't know. It's their intellectual property.

Now on to another question...why do you need a 3D model to do a thermo analysis?

4. Jun 26, 2008 #3
    I'll have to design my own then.....

5. Jun 27, 2008 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

99% of the time, that is going to be the case. I used to have a job that required a lot of reverse engineering of components. My life would have been MUCH easier if companies were more willing to share cad models. Many do for sales purposes, but usually they are smaller components like cylinders, bolts, etc...

6. Jun 27, 2008 #5
    Yeah tell me about it. It's an eye opening experience for me to say the least.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?