1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello and Question

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1
    I am grateful there is a forum like this for my physics/engineering questions:biggrin: , hello everyone!

I hope some kind engineer out there can help me. I don't know exactly where to begin, so I'll just describe the general process I am trying to understand.

When dealing with transient heat transfer with finite elements (explicit forward difference) how exactly are boundaries defined? I mean the system has its bounds applied before entering the defined time loop - correct? The capacity matrix is divided by the time-step size, but will not be modified again in the program (remains constant)?

Upon entering the defined time-loop, the nodal heat and heat-rate vectors from the previous time iteration are saved. The heat-rate vector is altered to reflect the time-step and the result is then solved for the current time by multiplying the new heat-rate vector by the inverted capacity matrix? The new solution/nodal temperatures are adjusted to reflect the boundaries of the system?

I apologize for all the questions - making sure I understood the process properly.

Kind regards.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted