Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello and Question

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1
    I am grateful there is a forum like this for my physics/engineering questions:biggrin: , hello everyone!

I hope some kind engineer out there can help me. I don't know exactly where to begin, so I'll just describe the general process I am trying to understand.

When dealing with transient heat transfer with finite elements (explicit forward difference) how exactly are boundaries defined? I mean the system has its bounds applied before entering the defined time loop - correct? The capacity matrix is divided by the time-step size, but will not be modified again in the program (remains constant)?

Upon entering the defined time-loop, the nodal heat and heat-rate vectors from the previous time iteration are saved. The heat-rate vector is altered to reflect the time-step and the result is then solved for the current time by multiplying the new heat-rate vector by the inverted capacity matrix? The new solution/nodal temperatures are adjusted to reflect the boundaries of the system?

I apologize for all the questions - making sure I understood the process properly.

Kind regards.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted