Hello Chemistry & Medical people

In summary, chemistry is a scientific discipline that focuses on the composition and properties of matter, while medicine deals with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases and disorders. Chemistry and medicine are closely related, as chemistry plays a crucial role in the development and understanding of medicines and treatments. It is essential in the discovery, development, and manufacture of new drugs and treatments, and contributes to medical research by helping to design and synthesize new compounds. Examples of chemistry in medicine include the development of antibiotics, painkillers, chemotherapy drugs, and medical imaging techniques.
Woofuls
Hi! My name is Chris...

I've been reading through many of the boards around here and there seems to be an abundance of people that have been through the system and know their fields, why not take advantage of such a experienced community and get advice?

I suppose it has been 5 or 6 years since I got the idea that I wanted to help people by becoming a physician or a scientist of somekind... To make a long story short, I had a few encounters with mental illnesses and saw how misunderstood they are and how much room for improvement there is in our system, here in the United States. If you want to do something right you have to do it, right?

Well... I'm a senior in high school this year, I've applied to one state university that I will easily get into (University of Idaho) and I'm working on finishing my essay for University of Washington... Even if I was to be accepted at the UW I couldn't afford or probably come up with enough scholarships and even with a job pay for it... So the University of Idaho is the most economic choice, smaller, and is science oriented.

My love is science! I've never done amazingly well in English, although I enjoy reading... History is interesting to know... and hard-labor is no fun, as I've already held a full-time job for 3 years in agriculture, no fun at all... This year I'm taking Chemistry in a class room, and I am catching up to a Physics class on my own... (I made a stupid mistake and joined a class that isn't what I expected and gave up Physics for it.) I don't expect to do amazingly well in Physics, but I like that I really have to think... Chemistry is my favorite subject, my teacher is the best I've ever had; he is just amazing, really loves his job, totally into what he does, and makes it fun! (It is really entertaining when is he wrong.) Because of how much I like Chemistry I thought that a program at the U of I sounded about right for me, a B.S. Chemistry program that is kinda pre-med, but more so chemistry... I was told that I really needed to declare for scholarships, but I could still change it...

I'm not like a 4.00 kinda person, although I am trying to get close... This year is the first year I've had a chance to do anything besides work and just school (I was homeschooled for quite awhile), so I went right to volunteering at our local hospital. The people are really nice, but they all say doctors have no lives... I do a bunch of things and I talk with a bunch of professionals, hearing all kinds of things from each. It is cool how two people can have completely opposite views on the same subject because of their experiences! But it does make it more confusing for me. The general consensus I have heard is that you should go into medicine only if you love it... The surgical director at our hospital has told me that I really should sign up and take an EMT-Basic course and get licensed this spring, to get a more in-depth look in medicine. Helping people is something I enjoy... I plan on it.

Oh yeah! I really really want to get into research at the undergraduate level... The MSTP program is my dream, that is if I really turn out to like research and extreme science studying! I know that a person can waste away their entire life and only make an infinitesimal or no contribution at all, but atleast someone else won't have to figure that out or will know where NOT to look.

What I would like to know is does it sound like I am heading in the right direction? Maybe I shouldn't declare myself as a chemistry major? Suggestions? What do you think it takes to be a scientist, chemist, physician.

I really like seeing different sides of the jellybean...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for sharing your thoughts, Chris! It's great to see that you have a passion for science and for helping others. It's also impressive that you have already taken steps towards exploring your interests, such as volunteering at the hospital and considering taking an EMT course.

From my experience as a scientist, I can tell you that the road to becoming a successful one is not always easy. It takes dedication, hard work, and a constant thirst for knowledge. It's great that you are already thinking about research at the undergraduate level and have your sights set on the MSTP program. My advice would be to continue exploring your interests in science and medicine, and to also keep an open mind. You never know where your passion and skills may lead you.

As for your major, I would suggest pursuing a degree in a field that you are truly interested in and enjoy. Chemistry is a great foundation for many scientific careers and can also be a valuable asset for a future physician.

In terms of what it takes to be a scientist, chemist, or physician, I believe it takes a combination of intellect, curiosity, perseverance, and a strong work ethic. It's also important to have good communication skills, as collaboration and sharing ideas with others is crucial in the scientific community.

Overall, I think you are heading in the right direction and have a lot of potential to succeed in whichever path you choose. Keep exploring and learning, and don't be afraid to take risks and try new things. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

for sharing your thoughts, Chris. It's great to see young individuals like yourself interested in the fields of chemistry and medicine. It sounds like you have a passion for helping others and making a positive impact in the world, which are important qualities for a scientist or physician.

In terms of your academic and career goals, it's important to keep in mind that there is no one "right" path. It's great that you are exploring different options and considering your interests and strengths. Ultimately, the most important thing is to find a field that you are truly passionate about and that will motivate you to continue learning and making a difference.

As for your question about whether you should declare yourself as a chemistry major, my advice would be to keep an open mind and continue exploring different subjects. If you find that chemistry is the subject that truly fascinates you and you excel in, then it may be a good fit for you. But don't be afraid to also explore other subjects, such as biology or physics, that may also align with your interests and goals.

In terms of what it takes to be a scientist or physician, it takes a lot of hard work, dedication, and curiosity. Both fields require a strong foundation in scientific principles and the ability to think critically and creatively. Being open to new ideas and approaches, as well as being able to work well in a team, are also important qualities.

I would also encourage you to continue seeking out opportunities for hands-on experience, whether through volunteering at a hospital or participating in research projects. These experiences will give you a better understanding of what it's like to work in these fields and help you make more informed decisions about your future.

Overall, it sounds like you are heading in the right direction and have a clear passion for science and helping others. Keep exploring and learning, and I have no doubt that you will find your place in the world of chemistry and medicine. Good luck on your journey!

1. What is the difference between chemistry and medicine?

Chemistry is a broad scientific discipline that deals with the composition, structure, and properties of matter. It includes the study of atoms, molecules, and their interactions. Medicine, on the other hand, focuses on the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases and disorders in humans and animals. While chemistry provides the foundation for understanding the biological processes in medicine, medicine also incorporates other fields such as biology, biochemistry, and pharmacology.

2. How are chemistry and medicine related?

Chemistry and medicine are closely related, as chemistry plays a crucial role in the development and understanding of medicines and treatments. Chemists and medical researchers work together to design and synthesize new drugs and treatments that can target specific diseases and disorders. Chemistry also helps in developing diagnostic tools and techniques used in the medical field, such as imaging technologies and laboratory tests.

3. What is the importance of chemistry in medicine?

Chemistry is essential in medicine as it helps in the discovery, development, and manufacture of new drugs and treatments. Chemists use their knowledge and skills to design and synthesize compounds that can target specific diseases and have minimal side effects. They also work to improve existing medications and develop new drug delivery systems. Chemistry is also crucial in understanding the biological processes in the human body and how diseases and medications interact with them.

4. How does chemistry contribute to medical research?

Chemistry plays a vital role in medical research as it helps in the discovery and development of new treatments and cures for diseases. Chemists use their understanding of the properties and behavior of molecules to design and synthesize new compounds that can target specific diseases and disorders. They also develop techniques for drug delivery and drug formulation to improve the effectiveness and safety of medications.

5. What are some examples of chemistry in medicine?

Chemistry is involved in numerous aspects of medicine, including drug discovery, drug formulation, and medical research. Some examples of chemistry in medicine include the development of antibiotics, painkillers, chemotherapy drugs, and vaccines. Chemistry is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI, PET, and CT scans, as well as in the production of medical devices and equipment used in surgeries and treatments.