1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello! Could you please help me demostrate some integral inequalities?

1. Mar 4, 2013 #1
    So could you please help me demonstrate some inequalities? Please! They want to prove them without calculating the integral.

1/3<=integral from 4 to 7 (x−3)/(x+5)dx<=1

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2013 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

This is a homework-style question, so by the rules of the forum you need to demonstrate some sort of attempt at solving the problem yourself before we can help you.

What have you tried so far? Do you know any theorems which may be useful here?

4. Mar 4, 2013 #3
    Re: Hello! Could you please help me demostrate some integral inequalit

I tried writing 1/3 as the result of an integral from 4 to 7, or 1, but wirh no results. I also tried breaking the fraction, but also, it led nowhere.

5. Mar 4, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1/3= (1/9)(7- 4) and 1= (1/3)(7- 4) so if you can show that the integrannd always lies between 1/9 and 1/3, you are done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted