Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello, fellow star stuff

1. Jan 31, 2015 #1
    I'm Vin, nice to meet you all!

I've always been interested in science, long before the rigours of academia discouraged me from pursuing it as a career, but in recent months I've been feeling a strong rekindling, and am flirting with the idea of pursuing a career in the sciences.

In my past life I was a music major. Music gave me my first real identity as a person, and was the first passion of mine I ever went anywhere with. I enjoyed my time in university, but after being thrust into the service industry with no career prospects and tens of thousands of dollars of debt to haul, I knew I had to reconsider my life. I'm still pursuing music as a career, but I'm being... smarter with my investments this time around. :oldwink:

In addition, I've begun flirting with the idea of going back to school for a degree (or degrees) in science - astronomy or physics perhaps, but just which field to pursue is still a grey area for me. The field (using the term broadly) I'm most interested in is astrobiology, but whether or not I'd want to set my sights on that as a career goal is something I'm not yet sure of.

Well, that's all I've got for now. If you're interested, don't hesitate to ask me something or chat~

Let me leave you with this:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2015 #2
    Welcome to PF!

4. Feb 1, 2015 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Astrology? Perhaps you meant astronomy. ;)

5. Feb 1, 2015 #4
    :bugeye:

Well, that's... beyond embarrassing. I did, in fact mean astronomy, yes... and you'll have to take my word for it, but I'm usually careful to avoid that mix-up (especially considering the vast difference in scientific credibility between - and my personal interest in - the two fields).

Please tell me this board has seen a more humiliatingly shameful first impression than that, haha.

6. Feb 1, 2015 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've made MUCH worse bloopers. Yes, it's very obvious you know the difference, and welcome to PF!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook