Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello, fluid flow simulation

1. May 21, 2005 #1
    I need badly some materials or instructions on how to simulate fluid flow or similar/related things to finish my research in the next 3 months...Do you know where I can find some to read, or places where I can download source code ?? Anything about it is really fine, how to simulate is also quite hard to me that I don't think I can handle without any help from professional community like here, please help...

Thanks a lot in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2005 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. May 21, 2005 #3
    THANK YOU!!!!
    Actually , I choose fluid flow simulation as my term project this time but I don't know much about computational fluid.. (physics is what I major in), I 'd like to simulate a human blood cell in its respiration process.. I don't know for certain what is going to suit me right now, I mean what part in fluid flow simulation is correct about what i am trying to accomplish. Do you have any suggestions for me to go ? Do you think what I am doing or thinking is out of track ? Please suggest or advise me anything you think I should consider or change, thanks a bunch in advance..

5. May 21, 2005 #4
    Hmm, this might be useful for my aerodynamics stuff...

6. May 21, 2005 #5
    :biggrin:
    Noooo, plz doun say so, I need advice, suggestions :blushing:

Thanks anyway for the input :biggrin:

7. May 21, 2005 #6

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

... huh .... sounds really interesting, and tough stuff !! I'm adding a couple of links I've collected over time about CFD of biological systems, don't know whether they're any help or anything but for one reason or another have found them interesting, hopefully someone can give you some pointers about modeling the respiration process, I'm not qualified to say much of anything about the specifics of that area of application :biggrin: .

There is lots of work going on in this field with respect to blood circulation, flow in heart etc., which is extremely interesting stuff (& complex, aspects of the material models make me a bit dizzy since I typically view these sorts of problems from the "structure" side of fluid - structure interaction) ....

http://www.health.gov.mt/impaedcard/issue/issue2/1125/1125.htm
    http://cfd.mae.wvu.edu/biomed/
    http://paloweb.com/Science/Technology/Biomedical_Engineering/
    http://www.arl.hpc.mil/events/Overset2004/Session_1.2/Henty/os04_meghan_henty.pdf
    http://www.cfd.com.au/cfd_conf03/papers/133Hos.pdf

8. May 22, 2005 #7
    Thank you
    In the first link you posted, could you tell me how color range in figure 10 could be drawn ? I see this kind of color range many times and still don't know how people can draw it ?Is it done by some software ? Thanks

9. May 22, 2005 #8

Danger

Gold Member

I can't help you at all, but I'm going to ask a friend in biology to take a look at your post and see if she can do something for you.

10. May 22, 2005 #9
    Oh well, I mean something like your avatar.. is it a programatically drawn image ?

11. May 22, 2005 #10
    Really, :blushing: I am happy if she could give me even source code so that I don't have to think :biggrin:

12. May 22, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pfft, that means he PM'd me to let me know someone was asking about blood flow in the Physics forum. :tongue: Source code I can't help with, nor can I help with modeling. But if you need help understanding cardiovascular physiology, while it's not my field of specialty, I was taught physiology by a cardiovascular physiologist, so really had that topic drilled into my head as a student.

When you say you're working on blood flow related to respiration, do you mean flow through the vasculature in the lungs, or do you mean modeling gradients of oxygen/CO2 transfer between the lungs and red blood cells? These would be two very different questions. How realistic does your model need to be? I ask, because you mention red blood cells, but there are of course other types of blood cells in addition to the fluid serum that all the cells are carried in. Other parameters you may or may not want or need to consider are cardiac output, changes in vasodilation (blood vessels are elastic, so have variables that rigid pipe wouldn't have), obstructions such as from atherosclerosis plaques, and cell counts (% of the blood volume containing the different types of blood cells).

It'll certainly be a challenge to model this system, so I'd suggest, if you're allowed to do so for your project, focus in on a fairly narrow aspect of it: just the pulmonary blood vessels, or only capillaries, for example. If that ends up too simple, you can keep adding to it until you have enough for your project rather than starting too broadly with too many parameters to consider all at once.

13. May 22, 2005 #12

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Fig 10 - its a typical contour plot, can do them in mathematica, matlab etc. as well as nearly all numerical results post-processing software ... the one I got in my avatar is done using Femlab which is a close relative of Matlab. When working with a specific software look for doing a contour plot and that is it, or alternatively you can import the data to a generic software like Matlab and do the visualization there.

14. May 22, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

You didn't address that question to anyone in particular. If you're referring to my avatar, it's a straight photograph of me. Check the members photo thread. (I try to make up in wit and charm what I lack in looks.)

15. May 22, 2005 #14
    Thank you for your advice and instructions. :wink:

Bythe way, Moonbear,modeling gradients of oxygen/CO2 transfer between the lungs and red blood cells--that is what i am trying to do..

Thanks,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?