Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello, forum

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1
    I downloade a forum but how can i see my forum on my computer. I not register web host/ domain yet. I want to play with it on my computers first. Can u tell me how to do that, what should I download and where should I put my forums so I can see my forums as I want to see my forums on my computer first.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2
    put it some place your webserver can see.

4. Sep 26, 2005 #3
    which would usually be C:/Inetpub/wwwroot if you're using windows and you will also have to have web server instaled on your computer. The easiest way to set up a web server is to add a windows component called "IIS" (Internet information services)... when you have that your web server is able to serve asp web pages for example. But if your forum is written in php you will have to install php support as well.

Of course, if you're working with linux this might be a bit more complicated for you if you're not so keen to computers. With linux you have the same story... web server (I suggest apache for a start) and php support.

If you have no clue about what we're talking I suggest that you ask a friend for a help and explanation.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  5. Sep 26, 2005 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

6. Oct 2, 2005 #5
    what kind of forum did you download?

7. Oct 7, 2005 #6
    im not the op'er but why you want to know ?
    i think only puttin a buncho files in wwroot still not workable, it only gives u a bunch of links if see in ur web browser, nothing more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?