GRE Chemistry Prep: Seeking Advice & Tips

In summary, the speaker is new to the forum and is seeking help for the GRE chemistry exam in November. They ask for book recommendations and mention that they haven't studied in 4 years. They are also directed to the GRE main site for study guides and practice tests.
roopa
Hello friends...

Hello everyone,
Iam new to this forum.I got the link to this forum with the help of google as I was desperate for help in chemistry :mad:
Iam taking GRE chemistry this november and need help and support with respect to the subject from u guys.Can u recommend some good books for reference?Is it enough if I prepare for 4 months[I have almost forgotten the basic concepts as I stopped studying 4 yrs back]?
Thanx in advance.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you go to the gre main site, you should be able to find some study guides as well as free practice tests.

Hello there,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on deciding to take the GRE Chemistry test! It's great that you are seeking advice and tips to help you prepare for the exam.

As for book recommendations, I would suggest checking out "Cracking the GRE Chemistry Test" by The Princeton Review and "Barron's GRE Chemistry" by Joseph A. Mascetta. These are both highly recommended by students who have taken the test and have found success.

In terms of preparing for the test, 4 months should be enough time if you are dedicated and consistent with your studying. I would recommend starting with reviewing the basic concepts and then moving on to more advanced topics. You can also find practice tests and questions online to help you assess your understanding and track your progress.

Additionally, I would suggest joining study groups or finding a study partner who is also preparing for the GRE Chemistry test. This can provide you with additional support and motivation.

Best of luck with your preparation and the exam! You got this.

1. What is the format of the GRE Chemistry subject test?

The GRE Chemistry subject test is a multiple-choice exam that consists of 130 questions. It is divided into three sections: Analytical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, and Physical Chemistry. Each section contains 40 questions, and the remaining 10 questions are experimental or research-based.

2. How should I prepare for the GRE Chemistry subject test?

There are several ways to prepare for the GRE Chemistry subject test. One option is to review your undergraduate chemistry coursework and textbooks. You can also use study guides and practice tests to familiarize yourself with the test format and content. Additionally, studying with a group or hiring a tutor may be helpful.

3. What topics are covered on the GRE Chemistry subject test?

The GRE Chemistry subject test covers a wide range of topics in analytical, inorganic, and physical chemistry. Some common topics include atomic structure, thermodynamics, kinetics, and organic chemistry. It is important to review all areas of chemistry to ensure a well-rounded understanding.

4. How is the GRE Chemistry subject test scored?

The GRE Chemistry subject test is scored on a scale of 200-990, with 200 being the lowest possible score and 990 being the highest. The score is based on the number of correct answers, and there is no penalty for incorrect answers. The average score is around 600-700.

5. Are there any tips for taking the GRE Chemistry subject test?

Some tips for taking the GRE Chemistry subject test include familiarizing yourself with the test format and content, practicing with sample questions and tests, and managing your time effectively during the exam. It is also important to get a good night's rest before the test and to eat a healthy breakfast to ensure optimal performance.