How Did a Former Programmer Transition to Forum Administration and Web Coding?

• Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
In summary, a former programmer made the transition to forum administration and web coding by utilizing their programming skills to create and maintain online forums. They also learned new skills in web coding to enhance the user experience and manage the technical aspects of the forums. This transition allowed them to combine their technical expertise with their passion for online communities, ultimately leading to a successful career as a forum administrator and web coder.
MarkFL
Hello PF Community!

I have been part of various math help forums over the last seven years, and during that time I have heard many positive comments regarding this site. I have landed here via searches many times when researching various math/physics topics too. I've always been impressed with the look/feel of PF, both when vBulletin was the platform used, and now as well that XenForo is being used.

For the last three and a half years or so, I have also been involved in forum administration at a math help site (Math Help Boards aka MHB). I used to be a computer programmer many years ago, before the internet age, and so I decided to carve out my administrative niche as a coder, specifically for vBulletin.

I threw myself into learning web coding, and over time I was invited to join the moderating staff at vBorg (The Official vBulletin Modifications Site). I have since stepped down (along with almost the entire staff) there for reasons that need not be posted here. I have produced some 100 or so vBulletin products, and I have moved support for those products to MHB and The Admin Zone (TAZ).

When I stepped down at vBorg, I joined TAZ and have since been invited to join the moderating staff there. My participation there has been my first real exposure to XenForo, and I am growing to appreciate it more and more. It's really a very nice package.

Besides math/physics/forum administration, I am into playing trombone, performance cars and science in general, and issues facing science educators in the U.S.

Last night at TAZ, I got an invitation from Greg to come join PF, and so I thought it would be good to reciprocate, given that he is a member of MHB. Now that I am here, one thing is obvious...Greg has put a lot of work into this site. His reputation among forum admins that I know is stellar and I see right off that it is well-deserved.

I look forward to learning more about physics here and even helping students when I can. Now, off to dress up my profile...

Likes Ackbach, berkeman and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome Mark!

Glad you decided to check in! You are too kind! Your resume is very impressive as well!

The switch from vB to XF was difficult but well worth it. Now we have to deal with migrating to XF2 next! :nb):biggrin:

btw, what performance cars are you into? I got a buddy big time into BMW.

Likes Ackbach and MarkFL
Welcome Mark, sounds like you will be a great addition to PF!

Likes Ackbach and MarkFL
Greg Bernhardt said:
Welcome Mark!

Glad you decided to check in! You are too kind! Your resume is very impressive as well!

The switch from vB to XF was difficult but well worth it. Now we have to deal with migrating to XF2 next! :nb):biggrin:

btw, what performance cars are you into? I got a buddy big time into BMW.

Hey Greg,

We've been considering switching platforms at MHB for various reasons for some time now, with XF at the top of our list, and the thought of learning a new platform, then converting our custom features, is a daunting proposition I must say! XF just feels so much more modern than vB. I hope your migration to XF2 goes well...I think you are wise to consider waiting for 2.1 from what I've read. :)

I've always been a Chevy man, and have been into Camaros and Corvettes the last 18 years or so. Right now I have a C6 Z06, and am planning to upgrade soon to a C7. I let one of my nephews take possession of a highly modified Camaro I used to own, because it was just sitting most of the time, and he and I had a lot of good memories in that car. He absolutely loves it.

I've always had respect for BMW's M cars (been schooled by a few too)...they are very well engineered and the build quality is superb. :D

Likes Ackbach
MarkFL said:
I think you are wise to consider waiting for 2.1 from what I've read

Likely, won't be any time soon

MarkFL said:
Right now I have a C6 Z06, and am planning to upgrade soon to a C7

I'm usually not a Corvette guy, but the Z06 is an awesome car! Photos?

Likes MarkFL
Greg Bernhardt said:
...I'm usually not a Corvette guy, but the Z06 is an awesome car! Photos?

Here's a pic from when I took museum delivery of the Z06:

003.jpg

Here's a pic of the 'vette and the SS LE together:

ssz02.jpg

Likes fresh_42 and Greg Bernhardt
Hi Mark and welcome!

I love those cars. But as a non-American, what is it, that you all (sorry for the prejudice) go nuts about fast cars with a speed limit of 70 or similar? Even 85 is slow.

Likes MarkFL
fresh_42 said:
But as a non-American, what is it, that you all (sorry for the prejudice) go nuts about fast cars with a speed limit of 70 or similar? Even 85 is slow.
Outside of cities, there are lots of open roads to have fun. :wink:

Likes MarkFL
fresh_42 said:
Hi Mark and welcome!

I love those cars. But as a non-American, what is it, that you all (sorry for the prejudice) go nuts about fast cars with a speed limit of 70 or similar? Even 85 is slow.

That's a fair question, and one I've been asked before...why do I want a car that will go 198 mph when the speed limit on the interstate is 70 mph? Well, I will admit there are times that I exceed the posted limit, at times by amounts that aren't trivial and would likely go directly to jail without passing "Go" if I were to be caught. I have always done so in ways that if something goes wrong, I won't harm other motorists. I cringe when I see people street racing, particularly when there is other traffic on the road. There's just something about being pushed back in the seat when I downshift and punch the throttle and hear the engine roar that I find exhilarating. :cool:

MarkFL said:
That's a fair question, and one I've been asked before...why do I want a car that will go 198 mph when the speed limit on the interstate is 70 mph? Well, I will admit there are times that I exceed the posted limit, at times by amounts that aren't trivial and would likely go directly to jail without passing "Go" if I were to be caught. I have always done so in ways that if something goes wrong, I won't harm other motorists. I cringe when I see people street racing, particularly when there is other traffic on the road. There's just something about being pushed back in the seat when I downshift and punch the throttle and hear the engine roar that I find exhilarating. :cool:
That's similar to the answer my brother in law (MI) gave me: "We want to be fast at least at the stop lights." For g-forces I like roads which lead steeply down- and all of a sudden steeply uphill again. To bad they are rare.

Likes MarkFL
Welcome to Physics Forms Mark. Look forward to interacting. Hey, that doesn't look like a trombone you are playing in your pic. I'm a blues keyboard man myself.

Likes MarkFL
Chestermiller said:
Welcome to Physics Forms Mark. Look forward to interacting. Hey, that doesn't look like a trombone you are playing in your pic. I'm a blues keyboard man myself.

Thanks! My avatar pic is actually Geddy Lee from Rush, one of my favorite groups. I took a couple of years of piano lessons as a child, so I kinda sort of know my way around a keyboard still. :music:

Likes Chestermiller
I was at the Rush performance at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia during their final tour (40th anniversary) in 2015. I was also at the AC/DC performance at Wells Fargo in September 2016. That might have been their final tour also. Here is a picture of me with my flashing devil's horns:
IMG_0137.JPG

Likes Greg Bernhardt, MarkFL and fresh_42
Chestermiller said:
I was at the Rush performance at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia during their final tour (40th anniversary) in 2015. I was also at the AC/DC performance at Wells Fargo in September 2016. That might have been their final tour also. Here is a picture of me with my flashing devil's horns:
View attachment 209981
The cap and shirt are almost as good as your signature line. You should once visit Wacken.

Likes Chestermiller

What is the significance of the phrase "Hello from St. Augustine"?

The phrase "Hello from St. Augustine" is often used as a greeting or introduction from someone who is currently in or from the city of St. Augustine, Florida. It is a way to acknowledge the city and its history, as St. Augustine is the oldest continuously inhabited European settlement in the United States.

What is the history of St. Augustine?

St. Augustine was founded in 1565 by Spanish explorer Pedro Menendez de Aviles. It was originally a military outpost and served as the capital of Spanish Florida for over 200 years. The city has a rich history, including being a key location in the American Revolutionary War and the Civil Rights Movement.

What are some popular attractions in St. Augustine?

Some popular attractions in St. Augustine include the Castillo de San Marcos, a 17th-century Spanish fortress; the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park, which claims to be the site of Ponce de Leon's legendary fountain of youth; and the St. Augustine Lighthouse, a historic lighthouse that offers tours and panoramic views of the city.

What is the climate like in St. Augustine?

St. Augustine has a humid subtropical climate, with hot and humid summers and mild winters. The city experiences frequent thunderstorms and is also at risk for hurricanes due to its location on the Atlantic coast.

What is the economy of St. Augustine based on?

Tourism is a major industry in St. Augustine, with millions of visitors each year coming to see the city's historic sites and attractions. The city also has a strong military presence, with several military bases and defense contractors in the area. Other industries include healthcare, education, and retail.