Hello goodbye

I hitch-hiked from central Maine to New Jersey to try to re-catch that spark with a lovely young lady. Her parents were put out, her older sisters were not supportive, and we were given so little privacy over the weekend that any bit of spontaneity and closeness was impossible to recreate. Not a fun lesson, but one that some hearts have to learn.

Why didn't you invited her for a trip to NY or whatever other place , than be forced to support her family companionship which is evocative of a scene from Jane Austen's novels ?

When all odds are against, well, just play everything on a single card :P

Borek
Mentor
Why didn't you invited her for a trip to NY or whatever other place , than be forced to support her family companionship which is evocative of a scene from Jane Austen's novels ?
Knowing Turbo it was over 30 years ago, in Maine these WERE Jane Austin's times.

radou
Homework Helper
Oh man, hah aha meeting girls you'll never see again. I think if I have a PhD on something, it's exactly that.
Same here. :rolleyes:

Greg, I hope you get an even bigger crush on some girl in Saigon, that would solve your problem. :biggrin:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Sometimes there is a brief, intense flame in a casual relationship. Attempts to rekindle that magic in other times and other situations can be frustrating and painful for both.

I hitch-hiked from central Maine to New Jersey to try to re-catch that spark with a lovely young lady. Her parents were put out, her older sisters were not supportive, and we were given so little privacy over the weekend that any bit of spontaneity and closeness was impossible to recreate. Not a fun lesson, but one that some hearts have to learn.
That reminds me of the time when I was headed out of town on a road trip, and I stopped my girlfriend's house - just after midnight. She had told me to stop by, and to tap on her (2nd story) window.

Well at ~12:30 am (00:30), I was standing beneath her bedroom window and quietly called to her. She didn't respond. I tossed a couple of small pebbes at her window. And then a window opened - and her dad's voice ask, "_____ is the you?"

I apologized for disturbing him and explained that I was on my way out of town and I had stopped by as requested. I said goodnight and left.

When I got back a week later, my girlfriend explained that she had fallen asleep. :frown:

When I got back a week later, my girlfriend explained that she had fallen asleep. :frown:
So you dumped her? And now you're with someone else!

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
So you dumped her? And now you're with someone else!
No - we just went separate ways. We were both undergraduates, and I didn't have a secure future at that point. That was more than 30 years ago.

We ran into each other about 5 years later, after we both got married. I mentioned how great is was being married. Unfortunately, she responded that she was glad that it was working for somebody. At the time, she was nursing her few months old son, and her marriage was apparently already in trouble. I think she sacrificed a promising career.

Actually, I never dumped any girl. They usually lost interest.

Most of the time however, I simply avoided exclusive (bf/gf) relationships in favor of just being friends.

turbo
Gold Member
Knowing Turbo it was over 30 years ago, in Maine these WERE Jane Austin's times.
Actually, it was almost exactly 40 years ago. I had barely enough money to stay fed on the trip - certainly not enough to pay bus-fare, thus the hitch-hiking.