Welcome to PF.

I believe it's "the sky"!

Haha! Nice one Jared.

Welcome to PF abfa. :smile:

What's your favorite fish?

Hello abfa and welcome to Physicsforums! :smile:

So... the fish?

Do you like sturgeon, abfa?

Welcome abfa to the Physics Forums! I hope you enjoy your stay here and have fun with us.

So yea, what's your favorite fish?:rolleyes:

Welcome abfa! <completely irrelevant>I know what's up: the Milky Way! I've just seen it for the second time in my life.</completely irrelevant>

So...how about the fish? o:)

JaredJames said:
I believe it's "the sky"!

drizzle said:
Haha! Nice one Jared.

I say that every time someone asks me "What's up", but what do I get in response?..."NERD".
But may be that's because they are usually all teenagers.

JaredJames said:
Welcome to PF abfa. :smile:

What's your favorite fish?

Could someone enlighten me about the history of the "Fish-slapping ceremony" please?

As well, it might go back further, to Tiberius, who, at Capri was offered a fish by a local fisherman. In horror at this welcoming gesture, Tiberius ordered the fisherman’s face be slapped and rubbed with the fish. (purportedly true, and do to with some possible clues once).

Welcome, abfa! :smile:

Last edited:
fuzzyfelt said:
As well, it might go back further, to Tiberius, who, at Capri was offered a fish by a local fisherman. In horror at this welcoming gesture, Tiberius ordered the fisherman’s face be slapped and rubbed with the fish. (purportedly true, and do to with some possible clues once).

Welcome, abfa! :smile:

Thanks for the story. I have been wondering about its origins ever since I first witnessed this ritual on PF.

abfa said:
Hello how are you all i am new in physics forum
Whats up

Hello abfa welcome :)

And I believe it's the ceiling before the sky :P

Yeah I wouldn't advice telling them your favorite fish. Someone asked me in the chat room then slapped me with that particular fish. Then told me they don't make people like me anymore :uhh:

Monster92 said:
Hello abfa welcome :)

And I believe it's the ceiling before the sky :P

Yeah I wouldn't advice telling them your favorite fish. Someone asked me in the chat room then slapped me with that particular fish. Then told me they don't make people like me anymore :uhh:

Don't listen to monster! :smile: He was allergic for fish...

Just give us the fish... or else... :biggrin:

Has anyone seen abfa lately?

Last activity was today at 9am (GMT).

JaredJames said:
Last activity was today at 9am (GMT).

This is the second or third person lately that never seem to make it past the initiation ritual. I think our hooligan members scare them all away, or that they are spammers to begin with.

Rhody... :devil: :smile:

rhody said:
This is the second or third person lately that never seem to make it past the initiation ritual. I think our hooligan members scare them all away, or that they are spammers to begin with.

Rhody... :devil: :smile:

I must say, there seems to be a lot of failed attempts at spam recently. It's as if they put a signature (without being gold) or just forget the link altogether. So you get this completely random, off-topic post that you just know should have a link somewhere. Poor effort on their part. If you're going to spam, at least do it right!

mishrashubham said:
Thanks for the story. I have been wondering about its origins ever since I first witnessed this ritual on PF.

A pleasure. It has been a while since Tiberius last posted, too. :)

"hooligan members scare them all away" How dare you Rhody! Even our avatars don't indicate that. Look how colorful/greeny/fairy/kitteny/peaceful they are! :biggrin:

Okay abfa, don't tell us what's your favorite, we'll smack you with a tiny little golden fish. :smile:...:devil: :biggrin:

rhody said:
they are spammers to begin with

Quite often. As JJ answered they either don't realize their signatures won't show, or they just have a link to homepage in the profile, or they simply want to increase the post counter, to get some privileges (for example on some forums you need to have at least n posts to be able to post links).

That's why I am usually ignoring "Hello forum" posts from newcomers.

Borek said:
Quite often. As JJ answered they either don't realize their signatures won't show, or they just have a link to homepage in the profile, or they simply want to increase the post counter, to get some privileges (for example on some forums you need to have at least n posts to be able to post links).

That's why I am usually ignoring "Hello forum" posts from newcomers.

Borek,

Ignoring them is not enough, I say, get out the big "Evo ban gun" and blast (ban) the little hooligans into oblivion. I am kinda liking this new hooligan title myself, behavior reserved for (only) the unforgiven and unforgiving little miscreants.

Rhody... :devil:

rhody said:
Borek,

Ignoring them is not enough, I say, get out the big "Evo ban gun" and blast (ban) the little hooligans into oblivion. I am kinda liking this new hooligan title myself, behavior reserved for (only) the unforgiven and unforgiving little miscreants.

Rhody... :devil:

Yeah, ban the people who don't want to be fish-slapped! :devil:

That would be so called preemptive ban. It is done sometimes, but basically we wait till they make their first mistake. Spammer is like sapper - makes mistake only once.

My mouse is on the report button ready...

Borek said:
That would be so called preemptive ban. It is done sometimes, but basically we wait till they make their first mistake. Spammer is like sapper - makes mistake only once.

JaredJames said:
My mouse is on the report button ready...

You guys crack me up, "preemptive, sapper, report (blast) button", I feel like I am on the PF battlefield.

Rhody... :wink:

rhody said:
I think our hooligan members scare them all away...

Quite possible.

hello, everyone ! i am new on this forum too, i have become bored of textbooks and would love to share my fantasies but science!

filza said:
would love to share my fantasies but science!

Be warned: we love to talk about science, but fantasies are better suited for crackpotphysicsforums.com.

Please read forum rules, just in case.

Borek said:
Be warned: we love to talk about science, but fantasies are better suited for crackpotphysicsforums.com.

Please read forum rules, just in case.

He shoots, he scores!

1. What topics can be discussed in the Physics Forum?

The Physics Forum is a place to discuss all things science, with a focus on physics. This includes topics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum physics, and more.

2. Can I ask questions about specific problems or concepts?

Yes, the Physics Forum is a great place to ask questions about specific problems or concepts that you may be struggling with. Our community of scientists and experts are here to help and provide guidance.

3. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in the forum?

Yes, we ask that all participants follow our community guidelines which include being respectful, avoiding spam or self-promotion, and providing accurate information. Please read our full guidelines before participating.

4. Can I share my own research or experiments in the forum?

Yes, we encourage members to share their own research or experiments in the forum. This can lead to valuable discussions and feedback from other members of the community.

5. Is the forum only for professional scientists or can anyone participate?

The Physics Forum is open to anyone with an interest in science and physics. You do not need to be a professional scientist to participate, but we do ask that all members contribute in a respectful and meaningful way.