Welcome Rohan! Starting a Physics Career at 13

In summary: Australian National University, Australian Physics Students' SocietyHi, I'm new here, too, so I'll just say a few words about me. I'm 13 years old, and I think physic's is a really interesting and cool field. I'm new to this forum, but I found this place after looking for some information about starting a physic's career. I don't know how to get started, though. Would somebody have any advice? Thanks!In summary, Rohan is a 13-year-old Australian who is interested in starting a physics career. He is in a bit of a bind because he does not know how to get started. He found this forum after
Rohan11221
Hello, I am new :)

Hello, I'm Rohan I am 13 years of age and think it's time to start a physic's career much to my utter disgust since there's not much opportunity for me since I'm from Australia :uhh:.

I have had a long thought and decided that i think physic's is a good career for me. So I thought i would look for a forum to join to discuss various matter's. But I am in a bit of trouble, I don't really know how i would start learning it, Would any of you have any idea's, Helpful comment, Or anything nice to say?. It would be nice as it doesn't happen to often since all the other kids Probably just hate me or they feel I am a threat because of my intelligence, Not that its hard being smarter than jock's am I right :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

Rohan11221 said:
Hello, I'm Rohan I am 13 years of age and think it's time to start a physic's career much to my utter disgust since there's not much opportunity for me since I'm from Australia
Australia is a world leader in astronomy and is one of the most innovative high tech countries you will find (there is a certain will to win in the oz psyche).

For example in mining - it's difficult for most countries to get skilled workers to a mine in the middle of nowhere. The US/Canada solution is to pay unskilled people a lot and hope. The aussie solution was to develop the technology to have a completely robotic 20Mton/year open pit mine operated from 1500km away.

Last edited:

Exactly! Its hard to get in unless you have skill's and i don't have that :P.
Would you have any advice on how to start my career?.

Do physics+maths at school,
Do physics+maths at high school
Do physics+maths at college
Do physics+maths in grad school

Is the normal technique

Rohan11221 said:
Exactly! Its hard to get in unless you have skill's and i don't have that :P.
Would you have any advice on how to start my career?.

Welcome to the PF, Rohan. Good for you to set your goals high and early. Definitely take all the math and science in school that you can.

Here is a fun intro/thinking book that you should take a look at in the local bookstore (buy it if it looks fun to you):

"Thinking Physics" https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935218084/?tag=pfamazon01-20

And you might look into some intro electronics books and kits to build, since electronics and electromagnetics use a lot of physics. See if you local library has a copy of this book:

The Art of Electronics, by Horowitz and Hill https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521370957/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Have fun (and play some sports too -- nothing wrong with being a jock and a really smart person too!).

as mgb_phys said, learn and study hard
btw, welcome to PF :smile:

ps. how come this thread doesn’t smell fishy yet?!

Wow, So many response's i love this place already!

There is a sub-forum for Math and Science Learning materials, Rohan. It is at the top of PF's home page. Linked materials range from introductory to advanced.

Welcome, BTW

Perhaps the best thing you can do at your age is to concentrate on math. To go anywhere in physics or engineering you need good math skills. Make math your friend and take as much as you can. Once you have the math Physics is easier to master. Mainly because you are not having to learn math and physics at the same time.

Rohan11221 said:
Hello, I'm Rohan I am 13 years of age and think it's time to start a physic's career much to my utter disgust since there's not much opportunity for me since I'm from Australia :uhh:.

I have had a long thought and decided that i think physic's is a good career for me. So I thought i would look for a forum to join to discuss various matter's. But I am in a bit of trouble, I don't really know how i would start learning it, Would any of you have any idea's, Helpful comment, Or anything nice to say?. It would be nice as it doesn't happen to often since all the other kids Probably just hate me or they feel I am a threat because of my intelligence, Not that its hard being smarter than jock's am I right :smile:
CSIRO, ANSTO, and universities such as ANU, Monash, etc. can provide plenty of opportunity.

Now's a good time to start your academic pursuit of a physics degree.

I actually got interested in 5th grade when I was about 10.

Welcome Rohan,

Look into math or physics societies you might get involved with...

Good places to associate with like-minded others.

Australian Mathematical Society
http://www.austms.org.au/
and;
http://www.austms.org.au/Student+Support

University of Queensland
http://www.smp.uq.edu.au/student/highSchool.html
and:
http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/pain/aphome.shtml

University of Melbourne, Physics Students' Society
http://unimelbpss.org/

Last edited by a moderator:

You're in the home* of Terry Tao and the Australian Mathematical Society. It's a great place for math -- one of the better countries, to be sure. (I can't speak for the physics, but it's probably just as good.)

* By birth... my country snatched him up as soon as it was able. ;)

1. What inspired you to start a physics career at the young age of 13?

I have always been fascinated by the world around me and have a natural curiosity for how things work. I was particularly drawn to physics because it explains the fundamental laws and principles that govern our universe. I also had supportive mentors who encouraged me to pursue my interests and passions.

2. How did you balance your studies and extracurricular activities while pursuing a physics career?

It was definitely a challenge to balance my studies and extracurricular activities, but I made sure to prioritize my time and set aside dedicated study hours each day. I also made use of my free time to attend physics workshops, participate in research projects, and engage in online learning opportunities. It was important for me to have a well-rounded education and to continue pursuing my interests outside of the classroom.

3. What challenges did you face as a 13-year-old starting a career in a field typically pursued by older individuals?

One of the biggest challenges I faced was the lack of resources and opportunities available for someone my age. Many internships and research programs have age restrictions, so I had to be creative in finding ways to gain experience and knowledge. I also had to overcome the stereotype that young individuals are not capable of understanding complex concepts or contributing to scientific research.

4. How did you overcome these challenges and continue to progress in your career?

I overcame these challenges by being persistent and determined. I sought out mentors who believed in me and provided me with guidance and opportunities. I also took advantage of online resources and reached out to experts in the field for advice and support. Most importantly, I never let the obstacles discourage me and remained passionate and motivated to pursue my dreams.

5. What advice do you have for other young individuals interested in pursuing a career in physics?

My advice is to never underestimate yourself and your abilities. Age should not limit your aspirations and you should never be afraid to pursue your passions. Seek out mentors who can guide you and provide you with opportunities to learn and grow. Also, make use of all available resources, whether it's books, online courses, or workshops, to gain a deeper understanding of physics. Most importantly, stay curious, stay passionate, and never give up on your dreams.