Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello, my name is Bandersnatch and I'm a crackpot addict

1. Sep 24, 2014 #1

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I need help. I don't know what to do.

Every time I see a crackpot posting on PF I'm going into an ecstatic state of utmost glee. I gobble up the convoluted effusions as if they were celestial ambrosia. I wallow in the pungent fragrance of confused and misapplied terminology. I feel my soul raising to heights rarely seen otherwise, and tell myself that I simply find amusement in undoing the conceptual knots that people can tie themselves into. As if it was a good-hearted, bening thing.

But I know, oh I know. I enjoy it so because it makes me feel superior to my fellow man. I am vain, and I don't want to be! But those crackpots keep coming back, and I can't deny myself another fix. I am addicted.

Just now I saw another one, a magnificent specimen scoring in the hundreds on the crackpot index. I couldn't help but enjoy ticking off the boxes as I kept reading(and watching his videos). I even stooped as low as to sneer at his horrible, horrible English.

Help! I need a support group of like-minded, I mean, similarly-afflicted individuals. Perhaps even, oh I can't say that... I will say that - perhaps even a thread where all the fabulous crackpot posts could be reposted(and not deleted by our gracious mods) for the sole purpose of providing aesthetic pleasure. As a medicinal dose, of course. A legalised, regulated medicinal dose. One cannot simply go cold turkey on crackpots after all. It might result in some analogue of delirium tremens, or worse!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2014 #2

wolram

Gold Member

I am a reformed crackpot, now i just get things wrong, but i am dealing with that :]

4. Sep 24, 2014 #3
    Try a web search for skycentrism.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  5. Sep 24, 2014 #4

DataGG

Gold Member

Are there still crackpots posting on PF? I haven't seen one in a long time. Would like some links.

6. Sep 24, 2014 #5
  7. Sep 24, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

We delete most of them.

The internet is full of them, so if you want to see crackpot theories, google will help.

8. Sep 24, 2014 #7

Borek

Thank you. You just confirmed we are effective.

9. Sep 24, 2014 #8

Intrastellar

Gold Member

Yes you are, and (most of, OP excluded) the PF community is very thankful for that.

10. Sep 24, 2014 #9
    I am too.

I enjoy the occasional crackpot paper but we don't want them piling up in the forums. That'll just attract other crackpots.

11. Sep 24, 2014 #10

Strilanc

Science Advisor

Well, there's usually people throwing around the same weird uninformed ideas like consciousness in quantum mechanics.

12. Sep 24, 2014 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh, yeah. I remember that one for sure, it was quite a treat. Must have sent Bandersmatch into paroxysms of joy since he insisted on it not being deleted, but preserved (presumably to feed his guilty habit on nights when he couldn't sleep. :p )

13. Sep 24, 2014 #12
    Ha! I was a little surprised Dale went along with it.

I think we have a UFO enthusiast in our midst as well. He's being careful with his posts though...

14. Sep 24, 2014 #13
    It's slightly amusing when someone follows up their ludicrous, disputed by evidence, assertions with a cry of outrage at how Physicists are somehow out of tune with the facts.

15. Sep 25, 2014 #14
    That's random mutation that'll lead to something unknown in advance.

16. Sep 25, 2014 #15

Borek

Hey, don't be such a grammar nazi. He was a Pole. When English is your second language you have to make a choice, you can either polish your English, or your crackpot theories. There is simply no time in life for both.

17. Sep 25, 2014 #16
    I enjoy crackpots which are just over-the-top insane. Have you seen this?: http://www.templeos.org/

It's beautiful.

18. Sep 25, 2014 #17

SixNein

Gold Member

How ya doing?
    =)

19. Sep 25, 2014 #18

TumblingDice

Gold Member

Did you intend that as a 'double-entendre'...? :D

20. Sep 25, 2014 #19

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ohhh wow ... the mind boggles ;)

21. Sep 29, 2014 #20
    It's always fun to use a mix of existing terminology that's not related to confuse a crackpot.
    Especially when they immediately use the proposed nonsense to 'prove' their claim...

Do not use this before determining he or she isn't going to accept serious answers disproving their claims.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook