1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello, need help with quadratic equation

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

x(2x^2 - 5) = -1

3. The attempt at a solution

This question has been flung at me without any pre-examples how to solve it. I have only dealt with equations like 2x^2 + 5x - 12 = 0. I know that the equation above should be set to zero, but how do I deal with the x coefficient on the paranthesis?

I don't know how to solve this -- it's very confusing and if someone can help me I would be grateful!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2
    I know I need to factorize which is my problem, I am not sure how to when there is an x outside the paramnthesis?

4. Feb 28, 2013 #3

eumyang

Homework Helper

Well, the first thing is that this is not a quadratic equation. It is a cubic. Second, when solving polynomial equations, I would first remove all parentheses (by using the distributive law or by multiplying out) and then collect all terms to the left side. Only then would I try to factor, if possible.

5. Feb 28, 2013 #4
    Do you think there has been a mistake then because the unit I am on is [specifically] quadratic equations? No wonder I wasn't sure about it.... If I multiply it out I get

2x^3 - 5x = -1

and then

2x^3 - 5x + 1 = 0

right?

6. Feb 28, 2013 #5
    So how do I factor that? I've never factored a cubic equation...

7. Feb 28, 2013 #6

eumyang

Homework Helper

Yes, the work is correct. Is this problem from a book? There are three solutions, none of which are rational, so I wonder if there was a typo somewhere.

8. Feb 28, 2013 #7
    It does actually say, make correct to the first decimal place...?

9. Feb 28, 2013 #8
    and yes, problem from a book... odd to find a cubic equation in the quadratic section...

10. Feb 28, 2013 #9
    will you plz show me how to solve this?

11. Feb 28, 2013 #10

eumyang

Homework Helper

This is not solvable by factoring. All three roots are irrational, so that means you cannot use the Rational Roots Theorem either. You could just graph it on a graphing calculator and have it find the solutions for you.

There exists a cubic formula, but it is overly complicated to use, and it is not taught AFAIK in courses in elementary/intermediate algebra or precalculus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted