Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello New guy here!

Tags:
  1. Dec 31, 2014 #1
    So I have been lurking on this site for quite some time and I finally decided to create an account. Unfortunately I have very little knowledge of physics but I do understand many of the basic theories and what not. I am a second year student at Northern Illinois University and I have been introduced to physics by one of my professors in what would be almost considered an Intro to Cosmology class and I have become almost too interested. At this moment I have read The grand Design by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow and am about halfway through Thee Roads to Quantum Gravity by Lee Smolin; so if anybody has any suggestions to further a beginners knowledge I am always open to suggestions!!

-Brian

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2014 #2
    Brilliant! I'm quite a beginner as well, and I found it really helpful to go to the local library and browse a few of the more basic but helpful books. Try borrowing or buying books like "50 quantum ideas you really need to know", or "Erwin Schrodinger and the Quantum Revolution" and so on. Try finding quite basic and easy to read books that will still give you the wanted information. From there slowly upgrade to the more advanced books once you have the knowledge and understanding required to do so. This is what I did and it worked for me so it should work for you as well.

4. Dec 31, 2014 #3
    I'll check them out within the next few days once I am done with my current book!

5. Dec 31, 2014 #4
    Awesome! Happy learning :) (and new year)

6. Dec 31, 2014 #5
    Same to you!! :)

7. Dec 31, 2014 #6
  8. Jan 1, 2015 #7
    Thanks!! I'll add them to my list!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook