Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hello, newbie here

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    I did not see an introductions forum or thread anywhere, so I guess it is alright to post a new thread. If this is not permitted, please feel free to delete the topic.

I found this site looking at http://deferentialgeometry.org/ (as little as I understand it) and this looks pretty nice. It has been over ten years since I studied physics, and it would be kind of nice to get back into the swing of things.

Hopefully I can learn a lot and maybe meet some nice folks along the way.

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello albn. Welcome to PF! There isn't an introduction forum or thread so you're fine to post here. One can certainly learn a lot here and there are some very nice people as well which makes it all the better.

Oh, and if you hear the sound of a fish traveling through air at high speed, then duck. :smile:

4. Jan 26, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF albn!!!

You've come to the right place if you are interested in physics. We have a wonderful community here of helpful and friendly people.

Make sure you stop by the new member fish thread and select your fish. We initiate all new members by slapping them with a fish. (don't ask)

New member fish thread

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  5. Jan 26, 2008 #4

Astronuc

Welcome to PF, albn. Deferentialgeometry.org is Garrett Lisi's site. Lisi is working on an Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything (ESToE).

One may find more on this matter in the Forum Beyond the Standard Model.

6. Jan 26, 2008 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome albn! Enjoy your stay. PF is a great place!

7. Jan 26, 2008 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome aboard, Albn.
    Please don't be one of those dozens of people who have run like the wind after having been welcomed. This is a great place, but we're all a little weird. Stick around long enough to get used to it. :biggrin:

8. Jan 26, 2008 #7
    I am lurking around to get a feel for the place. I do not want to ask the same question somebody else may have asked before.

I may just jump in and ask anyway.

9. Jan 26, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Absolutely. I'm new here too -- you can tell by my greasy little herring welts. If you go back into the archives some of the folks have been here for years. Us newbies are bound to bring up subjects that have come up before.

BTW, I'm here for reasons similar to yours. I majored in physics (years ago!), but I also studied chemistry. All my jobs have been mostly chemistry-related, and I miss discussions about physics.

10. Jan 26, 2008 #9

ranger

Gold Member

Alright! These fish jokes aren't that funny anymore.

11. Jan 26, 2008 #10
    ummmmm better duck (quickly).....

12. Jan 26, 2008 #11

Evo

You're entitled to your opinion, but this was started by members and most members here in GD seem to like the sense of fun, friendship, and camaraderie. You certainly don't have to join in. :smile:

13. Jan 26, 2008 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I should hit him with a duck?

hooooKAY...........................

<PLAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>

14. Jan 27, 2008 #13
    :rofl: :rofl:

15. Jan 28, 2008 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah, what she said...
    Albn, it's not always easy to find a previous post, even with the search function. Go ahead and ask. If it's been covered, a Mentor will point it out and link you to the previous discussilons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?