Introducing Myself: A High School Graduate's Interest in Physics and College

Konvict
Hello Physics Forum :)

Well I just joined. I've browsed this forum countless times and finally I had some time to register.

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Eric and I just graduated high school this past year. I'm very interested in going to college when I get some money saved up from my current job at Walmart. Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting involved :)

*Sorry if this is the wrong place etc

Physics news on Phys.org
Yo dude. I hope you are wearing some fish repellent. They have some interesting traditions around here.

Smacks Konvict with a codfish! Welcome to PF! You're in the right place.

Whew! Smells like codfish in here, must be a new member!

Welcome Konvict.

You know, I've been here for quite sometime now and I still find this fish slapping thing a little unnerving...

Konvict said:
Well I just joined. I've browsed this forum countless times and finally I had some time to register.

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Eric and I just graduated high school this past year. I'm very interested in going to college when I get some money saved up from my current job at Walmart. Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting involved :)

*Sorry if this is the wrong place etc

Welcome to the PF, Konvict. Are there any junior colleges near you where you can start taking classes? They are generally inexpensive, and you can often transfer credits to a 4-year college when you are ready to go there. Do you know what you want to study?

Hootenanny said:
You know, I've been here for quite sometime now and I still find this fish slapping thing a little unnerving...
Did you ever get slapped?

What's the new avatar? I can't see it very clearly.

Evo said:
What's the new avatar? I can't see it very clearly.

It looks like Dr. House, from the TV show. With bandaids over his mouth, maybe?

Evo said:
Did you ever get slapped?
No, I don't think so, I didn't formally introduce myself... runs and hides quickly...
berkeman said:
It looks like Dr. House, from the TV show. With bandaids over his mouth, maybe?
Spot on :approve:, the box-sets have just come out over here and I must admit that I'm a little addicted...

Hootenanny said:
No, I don't think so, I didn't formally introduce myself... runs and hides quickly...
<WHAM>

That was sea bass, only the best for you. :smile:

Spot on :approve:, the box-sets have just come out over here and I must admit that I'm a little addicted...
I love House, but I'm upset that this season is replacing all of last season's assistants. :mad:

Evo said:
<WHAM>

That was sea bass, only the best for you. :smile:
:biggrin: Aww thanks Evo, I feel so special
Evo said:
I love House, but I'm upset that this season is replacing all of last season's assistants. :mad:
I heard about that, I'm only upto the second series but I wandered onto the House website and read things I shouldn't have :grumpy:

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:

:rofl::rofl: Now, that's a welcome slap.

Hootenanny said:

What's with this universal House-addiction recently? Everywhere I go, I just hear people whisper "House...blabla..House...blabla...House..House...". :tongue:

Btw, welcome, Konvict. :smile:

Well, that cute blond British assistant was...

I mean, it's an interesting show. But I HATED that wimpy detective that tried to lock House up. :mad:

Evo said:
He was Australian! :rolleyes:

Hootenanny said:
He was Australian! :rolleyes:
He didn't sound Australian. :grumpy:

Australian: Oyshul doy.

(translation: I shall die.)

Evo said:

I mean, it's an interesting show. But I HATED that wimpy detective that tried to lock House up. :mad:

Quick note to the OP Konvict -- We don't usually let threads get hijacked like this. Us Mentors here on the PF are pretty good about keeping threads on-topic. However, since the majority of the hijackers in this case are Mentors, well, you know... :rolleyes:

I thought it was the three post rule. After 3 on topic posts, the thread is free game.

Evo said:
I thought it was the three post rule. After 3 on topic posts, the thread is free game.

Doh! My bad, I forgot about that rule. :rofl:

berkeman said:
Quick note to the OP Konvict -- We don't usually let threads get hijacked like this. Us Mentors here on the PF are pretty good about keeping threads on-topic. However, since the majority of the hijackers in this case are Mentors, well, you know... :rolleyes:

All threads are mentors' especially in GD! So hijacking doesn't mean anything here:rolleyes:

Lisa! said:
All threads are mentors' especially in GD! So hijacking doesn't mean anything here:rolleyes:
Exactly.

I told you to put some fish repellent on. You should have listened to me. Now you smell worse than Math is Hard on laundry day.

Hootenanny said:

Oh, wait, that means your welcome fish is around here somewhere. *rummages through the bottom of the fridge* Yep, here it is! :approve: Um...I'm not sure what kind it was. I don't think fish are supposed to be fuzzy, are they? :uhh: Hmm...I wonder of that puddle of putrid slime goes with it? Maybe some sort of sauce? Well, I'll scoop that up too, just in case. *Whacks Hootenanny with fuzzy, slimey fish.* A very belated welcome! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Oh, wait, that means your welcome fish is around here somewhere. *rummages through the bottom of the fridge* Yep, here it is! :approve: Um...I'm not sure what kind it was. I don't think fish are supposed to be fuzzy, are they? :uhh: Hmm...I wonder of that puddle of putrid slime goes with it? Maybe some sort of sauce? Well, I'll scoop that up too, just in case. *Whacks Hootenanny with fuzzy, slimey fish.* A very belated welcome! :biggrin:
Dammit, the sisterhood always find you eventually. I'm gona have to find a new place to hide... I'll try under Astro's beard...

Hootenanny said:
Dammit, the sisterhood always find you eventually. I'm gona have to find a new place to hide... I'll try under Astro's beard...

Bad idea, they could use scissors in their anger. :biggrin:

1. What inspired you to pursue a degree in physics?

As a high school student, I was always fascinated by the natural world and how it worked. I loved learning about the laws of physics and how they explained everything from the motion of objects to the behavior of light. This curiosity and passion for understanding the world around me led me to choose physics as my major in college.

2. How did your interest in physics develop during your high school years?

During high school, I took several science courses, including physics, and found myself drawn to the subject. I enjoyed the hands-on experiments and problem-solving aspects of the class. Additionally, I participated in extracurricular activities such as science fairs and physics clubs, which further fueled my interest in the subject.

3. What do you hope to achieve with a degree in physics?

With a degree in physics, I hope to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws that govern our universe. I also hope to use my knowledge to contribute to advancements in technology and make a positive impact on society. Ultimately, I aim to pursue a career in research or academia, where I can continue to explore and expand our understanding of the physical world.

4. How do you plan to balance your academic and personal life in college?

Balancing academics and personal life is crucial for success in college. I plan to prioritize my studies by creating a schedule and setting aside dedicated study time each day. I also plan to participate in extracurricular activities and maintain a healthy lifestyle by making time for hobbies and self-care. Additionally, I will seek help from professors, advisors, and peers whenever needed to manage my workload effectively.

5. What advice do you have for other high school students interested in pursuing a degree in physics?

My advice would be to take advantage of all the opportunities available to you in high school, such as taking advanced science courses, participating in science fairs, and joining physics-related clubs. These experiences will help you determine if physics is the right path for you and also give you a head start in college. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help when needed. Physics can be challenging, but with dedication and perseverance, you can achieve your goals and make exciting discoveries along the way.