Exploring Astrophysics: A Teen's Journey to Understanding the Universe

• Thread starter tActhImo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hello
tActhImo
Hello I am thimo and I am 16 years old. I am really interested in astrophysics and plan to get a masters degree in physics. I am currently still in High School. I have been watching some science videos on youtube and been formulating my own summaries of the theories discussed in these videos. And so I decided to join this forum.
I am planning on making some physics videos on youtube.

Have a great day!

Likes collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
tActhImo said:
Hello I am thimo and I am 16 years old. I am really interested in astrophysics and plan to get a masters degree in physics. I am currently still in High School. I have been watching some science videos on youtube and been formulating my own summaries of the theories discussed in these videos. And so I decided to join this forum.
I am planning on making some physics videos on youtube.

Have a great day!
Hey, thimo, welcome to the forum.

Keep in mind that most of the science videos you see (even ones with very high, non-amature production values) usually get some amount of the science wrong and sometimes a LOT of the science wrong.

phinds said:
Hey, thimo, welcome to the forum.

Keep in mind that most of the science videos you see (even ones with very high, non-amature production values) usually get some amount of the science wrong and sometimes a LOT of the science wrong.
I mostly watched PBS Space-Time. And I guess I now understand certain things the wrong way, I have tried to let people correct me but it was deleted because there were too many serious errors in my summary.
Any advice as to how I could better learn to understand certain subjects?

tActhImo said:
I mostly watched PBS Space-Time. And I guess I now understand certain things the wrong way, I have tried to let people correct me but it was deleted because there were too many serious errors in my summary.
Any advice as to how I could better learn to understand certain subjects?
Well, what I did was read a bunch of books, knowing that many of them are just as bad as the science videos, and pay a lot of attention to what gets said on this forum. I love watching those TV pop-science shows because of all the pretty pictures and neat graphics but I don't make the mistake a believing much of what they say.

phinds said:
Well, what I did was read a bunch of books, knowing that many of them are just as bad as the science videos, and pay a lot of attention to what gets said on this forum. I love watching those TV pop-science shows because of all the pretty pictures and neat graphics but I don't make the mistake a believing much of what they say.
I am currently reading Welcome to the universe written by Neil deGrasse Tyson and 2 other scientists. I really want to better understand the universe and how everything works, but it seems the only way to accomplish this is to go through a whole college book. I thought the videos could help me understand in a more simplistic manner. I mean understand some subjects without using difficult equations. But I guess this is just not possible.

tActhImo said:
I am currently reading Welcome to the universe written by Neil deGrasse Tyson and 2 other scientists. I really want to better understand the universe and how everything works, but it seems the only way to accomplish this is to go through a whole college book. I thought the videos could help me understand in a more simplistic manner. I mean understand some subjects without using difficult equations. But I guess this is just not possible.
Well, it IS possible. I haven't done diff-eq for about 50 years. I'll be damned. Thinking back on it, it's been EXACTLY 50 years. Anyway, you can get a lot by watching the crap videos and reading pop-sci books but unless you skip the videos and get good recommendations on the books (and there are a lot of threads on this forum that give such) you'll have to unlearn a lot of what you "learn".

I also recommend spending time reading threads on this forum. Use the forum search for topics of interest.

EDIT: Oh. You said "difficult" equations. I just saw that as "differential equations" because that IS one of the first things you'll need to learn beyond high school if you really want to dig into the math of physics. It would be my next step if I wanted to attack this stuff seriously.

EDIT again: Also, I watched a LOT of pop-science course videos from The Teaching Company ("The Great Courses"). They are WAY better than pop-science videos on TV and have serious scientists such as Sean Carrol, Alex Filippenko, Neil DeGrasse Tyson and other decent popularizers. The bad news is they are expensive but you can cut the cost WAY back by reselling them immediately after watching them. Also, buy them used if possible.

Last edited:
@tActhImo you might also find it informative to read the 1-page summary point to in my signature

phinds said:
@tActhImo you might also find it informative to read the 1-page summary point to in my signature
Oh well now I know I learned atleast one thing that is true. I watched a videa about the expansion of the universe and I concluded exactly what is described in your summary.

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of science that deals with the study of the physical properties and processes of celestial objects, such as stars, planets, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It combines principles of physics, astronomy, and mathematics to understand the behavior and evolution of these objects.

2. Why is it important to study astrophysics?

Studying astrophysics allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the universe and its origins. It also helps us to develop new technologies and advancements in areas such as space exploration and communication. Additionally, astrophysics can provide insights into the fundamental laws of physics and how they apply to extreme environments.

3. Who can benefit from reading "Exploring Astrophysics: A Teen's Journey to Understanding the Universe"?

This book is geared towards teenagers who are interested in learning about astrophysics and the mysteries of the universe. However, anyone with a curiosity about the subject can benefit from reading this book.

4. What topics are covered in "Exploring Astrophysics: A Teen's Journey to Understanding the Universe"?

This book covers a wide range of topics, including the history of astrophysics, the properties of stars and galaxies, the Big Bang theory, dark matter and energy, and the search for extraterrestrial life. It also includes interactive activities and experiments to help readers engage with the material.

5. Is any prior knowledge of astrophysics required to read this book?

No, this book is designed for readers with little to no prior knowledge of astrophysics. It introduces basic concepts and builds upon them in a way that is easy to understand. However, a basic understanding of math and science can be helpful in fully grasping the concepts presented in the book.