How to Write Realistic Science Fiction: Tips and Tricks from a Scientist

• Thread starter SciFiWriterGuy
  • Start date
In summary, realistic science fiction combines scientific concepts and principles with fictional elements in a logical and consistent manner. To incorporate scientific concepts without overwhelming readers, focus on one or two main ideas and use analogies or metaphors. A background in science is not necessary, as long as research and consultation with experts are done. Balancing scientific accuracy with creative freedom is important in maintaining a sense of realism. Common mistakes to avoid in science fiction writing include using outdated or incorrect scientific information and over-explaining scientific concepts.
SciFiWriterGuy
Hi there! I'm an aspiring sci-fi writer (several projects in the works, all in various states of completion). Unlike pop sci-fi, though, I've made it my mission to avoid technobabble, Treknobabble, pseudoscience, and anything that can't be given a reasonable, rational explanation. As you can imagine, this...really increases my workload as I have to research a lot of different topics to keep that goal centered.

However, as a result, I've become versed in many more topics than my formal education trained me in, so I'm hoping to help as well as be helped while I'm here! Best to all and have a great day!

Physics news on Phys.org
SciFiWriterGuy said:
Hi there! I'm an aspiring sci-fi writer (several projects in the works, all in various states of completion). Unlike pop sci-fi, though, I've made it my mission to avoid technobabble, Treknobabble, pseudoscience, and anything that can't be given a reasonable, rational explanation. As you can imagine, this...really increases my workload as I have to research a lot of different topics to keep that goal centered.

However, as a result, I've become versed in many more topics than my formal education trained me in, so I'm hoping to help as well as be helped while I'm here! Best to all and have a great day!
Welcome to the forum SciFiWriterGuy!
Please note that we have a special forum just for writers to answer and help with all of your questions https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/writing-and-world-building.220/

Please post all of your questions in this forum instead of in the science forums, the same people that post in the science forums post in the writers forum, but here you are given more room for speculation.

Thanks! Drakkith already gave me a bit of gentle correction along those lines, so I'll keep myself in the writers' area. Honestly, my big reason for signing up was to access actual, scientific brainpower to keep myself more to hard science than is the norm. Hopefully I can find my answers here. Many thanks!

SciFiWriterGuy said:
Thanks! Drakkith already gave me a bit of gentle correction along those lines, so I'll keep myself in the writers' area. Honestly, my big reason for signing up was to access actual, scientific brainpower to keep myself more to hard science than is the norm. Hopefully I can find my answers here. Many thanks!
Actually, some of our best scientific minds enjoy posting more in the writers section because they have less restraints.

Sounds like fun, indeed! Thanks, Evo!

SciFiWriterGuy said:
Sounds like fun, indeed! Thanks, Evo!
Tell the responders that you would like more "real world" replies" than speculation. You can control the responses you get.

1. What makes a science fiction story "realistic"?

Realistic science fiction is a genre that combines scientific concepts and principles with fictional elements to create a believable and plausible story. This means that the science in the story should be based on current or theoretical scientific knowledge, and should be presented in a logical and consistent manner.

2. How can I incorporate scientific concepts into my story without overwhelming the reader?

One way to do this is to focus on one or two main scientific concepts and build your story around them. You can also use analogies or metaphors to explain complex scientific ideas in a more accessible way for readers.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in science to write realistic science fiction?

While having a background in science can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary. As long as you do your research and consult with experts, you can still write a compelling and realistic science fiction story.

4. How do I balance scientific accuracy with creative freedom in my writing?

It's important to remember that science fiction is still a form of fiction, so you have the creative freedom to take some liberties with scientific concepts. However, it's important to stay true to the basic principles and laws of science to maintain a sense of realism in your story.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing science fiction?

One common mistake is using outdated or incorrect scientific information. Make sure to do your research and consult with experts to ensure the accuracy of your story. Another mistake is over-explaining scientific concepts, which can bog down the story and make it less engaging for readers.