Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hellooooooooo physicists

1. Jun 4, 2007 #1
    hi'ya all, I have this diturbing question almost funny, what things should be reqiered in someones personalty to tel that he or she is a physicist?
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

People are physicists if someone pays them to do physics. That's the only definition.

- Warren

4. Jun 4, 2007 #3
    Be inquisitive.

5. Jun 4, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I think chroot is right. I'd consider myself a Physics Enthusiast. :biggrin:

6. Jun 4, 2007 #5
    I guess it's hard to tell. I've met physics students/grad students and professors who were nerds, gamers, geniuses, "normal" (i.e. they'd mix well with mainstream America), right-wing conservatives, punks, ditzy girls, and even one football player. See? We support diversity.

7. Jun 4, 2007 #6
    I my self think that they are very smart but they can't aswer simple Q

8. Jun 4, 2007 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Other than the fact that you must be a problem solver, I think a physicist can have any type of personality.

That's an unfair generalization. Many of the physicists I met have tons of common sense and teaching ability. You've been hanging with the wrong crowd of physicists!

9. Jun 4, 2007 #8

Based on this statement, I dont think you actually know any physicists. :uhh:

10. Jun 4, 2007 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Wow.. I've never met a ditzy girl who's interested in physics! Sounds like my ideal girl!! :biggrin:

11. Jun 5, 2007 #10
    I dont think you actually know any physicists. :uhh:[/QUOTE]
    will dear friend I ment general Q about life not science:surprised

12. Jun 5, 2007 #11

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We know what you meant, and still consider the generalization wrong.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  13. Jun 5, 2007 #12
    did you first try to ask any physicist or that's just your thoughts it's not
    -taboo- to talk about them you know

14. Jun 5, 2007 #13
    Yeah, unfortunately the one I had in mind was already taken...by the "normal" guy.

15. Jun 5, 2007 #14

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I work with physicists and I am taught by physicists. Believe me, physicists can be normal, they can answer simple questions, and they can interact normally with society. I have seen it with my own eyes. I have had many everyday conversations with my professors and advisors, and had many simple(non-science related) questions answered. I an a physics student, and I think I am (for the most part) pretty average. Believe it or not, physicists are "normal" people, just like you.

So, just because you may have met a physicist that is awkward and weird and can't answer a simle question, it doesn't mean most of them are like that. There are awkward medical doctors that have no common sense, does this mean that all medical doctors can't answer simple questions? No it doesn't. Please don't make unfair generalizations based off limited experience. Personally, I find your statement somewhat insulting to not just myself, but all the physicists I have encountered in my life.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  16. Jun 5, 2007 #15
    Or right-wing progressives or left-wing conservatives or center-extreme religious...

marlon

17. Jun 5, 2007 #16
    I see you have an ((idol)):!!) that's why you don't like the physicist to be touch by ((rood)) words, any how young man that suppose to be a funny dicussion and it has nothing to do with your own professors and advisors plus why are you so attacky person cool down man :wink:

18. Jun 5, 2007 #17

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, I'm not going to turn this thread in a name calling/naking fun of each other session. What I was pointing out was that I deal with physicists on a daily basis, giving me evidence that opposes your view. Since you have not actually said why you think the way you do, my argument is more valid. BTW, if you just want to make fun of physicists, this really isn't the place to do it, it is PHYSICS Forums afterall. All I was trying to do was prevent you from spreading an unfounded stereotype.

What your post does tell me though, is that, since you are making fun of me for knowing physicists, you don't really know any physicists, making your view of them completely unfounded.

19. Jun 5, 2007 #18

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

little physics, G01 has not said anything that could be interpreted as a personal attack. Please mellow your tone, and stay on topic. I agree with what G01 has said so far on the topic of your original question.

20. Jun 5, 2007 #19
    berkeman, Go1 what's up with you people I"M NOT TRYING TO MAKE FUN OF THE PHYSICIST THEMSELVES but there are some times little thing they do or say which is funny, all kind of people may do funny things obviously, but the fact that you can't imagin a physicist could do such things makes it funny, and for me I've been dealing with many physicists and professors from different cuontries and they are all genius and kind persons
    G01 has not said anything that could be interpreted as a personal attack.[/QUOTE]

that's what I note from his other posts that I've red except if those posts was for another Go1??:rolleyes:

21. Jun 5, 2007 #20
    Make a thread with a point or get lost little physicis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?