Solving Helmholtz Coils: Diagram, Magnetic Field & Current

In summary, The speaker is trying to determine the direction of the magnetic field and the current in the given diagram. They have a few questions to answer, including one about the strength of the magnetic field. The speaker is uncertain about the direction and strength of the magnetic field and is seeking clarification.
MitsuShai
Hi
I'm suppose to find the direction of the magnetic field and the current in the diagram below and I was just wondering if I did this correctly. (red is magnetic field and blue is the current)

Diagram: http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k327/ProtoGirlEXE/100_0702.jpg

And I have a few question (that are in bold) to answer in the link below.
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k327/ProtoGirlEXE/100_0709.jpg

For the first question, I honesty don't know what to say about the magnetic field. Shouldn't the magnetic field be perpendicular to the plane, so it should be lying on the axis.

For the second question, I honestly thought that the magnetic field should be stronger because there are more coils but I'm not sure about this because of the statement italicized after the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is about magnetic fields.

1. What are Helmholtz Coils?

Helmholtz Coils are a pair of identical circular coils placed parallel to each other with a distance equal to their radius. They are used to produce a uniform magnetic field between them.

2. How do Helmholtz Coils work?

The two coils are connected in series and a current is passed through them in the same direction. This creates a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the plane of the coils and is parallel to the axis of the coils. The two fields produced by the coils cancel out each other at the center, resulting in a uniform magnetic field.

3. What is the diagram of Helmholtz Coils?

The diagram of Helmholtz Coils shows two circular coils placed parallel to each other, with a distance equal to their radius. The coils are connected in series and a current source is connected to them. The magnetic field lines are shown to be uniform and perpendicular to the plane of the coils.

4. How is the magnetic field strength calculated in Helmholtz Coils?

The magnetic field strength in Helmholtz Coils can be calculated using the formula B = μ₀IN / 2R, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current passing through the coils, N is the number of turns in each coil, and R is the radius of the coils.

5. What are the practical applications of Helmholtz Coils?

Helmholtz Coils are used in various scientific experiments, such as studying the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field, testing the magnetic properties of materials, and calibrating magnetic field sensors. They are also used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, to produce a uniform magnetic field for imaging purposes.