Helmholtz differential equation

In summary, the Helmholtz differential equation is a partial differential equation that is used to describe the propagation of waves in three-dimensional space. It combines the Laplace operator with the wave number and is commonly used in physics and engineering to model various phenomena, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and heat transfer. Its solutions are typically represented in terms of trigonometric functions and can be found using separation of variables or other numerical methods. The Helmholtz equation has many applications in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetism, making it a fundamental tool in the study of wave phenomena.
Sparky_
Greetings,

I have recently come across the Helmholtz differential equation.

Is there already a thread here that discusses the mathematic techniques (differential equation techniques) used to solve it?

If not can we discuss how one can solve the equation?

I'm familiar but rusty with linear differential equations with one variable and Laplace transforms but I've been out of school for some time.

I'm wanting the steps used to solve this equation. I do recall from school - things like solving for the roots of the auxillary equation and based upon the roots build the exponential solution - (again from a rusty memory)

Curious (and thanks)
-Sparky_

Physics news on Phys.org
Suggest some resources

Just to be clear, are we talking about
[tex]\Delta u + k \, u = \Phi [/tex]
where [itex]\Delta[/itex] is the Laplace operator? If so, almost all books on potential theory or "mathematical methods" discuss methods of solving this equation. You might also try http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru

Are you familiar with the residue theorem?

Waht and Chris,

Unfortunately the residue theorem is familiar in name only. I do recall using it in school (14 years ago now).

I can dig out and search the internet on the subject.

I got out my differential equations book but did not see techniques for the Helmholtz equation.

I can find the solutions for the equation, I just can't find the technique used to solve the equation and obtain these solutions.

Chris - yes that's the equation I'm interested in except I think the Laplacian is a 2nd order.

Any insights on the solution approach?

Thanks again
-Sparky_

Sparky, pointing upwards triangle is just grad squared, so it is second order ;)

(sorry, no idea how to do those symbols in latex, and didn't find it worth the effort to look them up for the post)

The Helmholtz PDE can be easily solved, and also in what coordinate system?

[tex] \nabla^2 \phi + k^2 \phi = 0 [/tex]I recommend a book "Partial Differential Equations with Fourier and Boundary Value Problems" by Nakhle Asmar. You will find your solutions there. This book is a goldmine.But there is another equation I was talking about,

[tex] \nabla^2 \phi + k^2 \phi = \delta (r) [/tex]

where you would have to the residue theorem to solve.

1. What is the Helmholtz differential equation?

The Helmholtz differential equation is a partial differential equation that expresses the relationship between a function and its second-order partial derivatives. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model phenomena such as sound waves and heat transfer.

2. Who discovered the Helmholtz differential equation?

The Helmholtz differential equation was named after German physicist and physician Hermann von Helmholtz, who first introduced it in 1853.

3. What is the physical significance of the Helmholtz differential equation?

The Helmholtz differential equation has many physical applications, including describing the propagation of waves, the flow of heat, and the distribution of electric and magnetic fields. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics and quantum mechanics.

4. How is the Helmholtz differential equation solved?

The Helmholtz differential equation can be solved using various methods, including separation of variables, Fourier series, and Green's functions. The specific technique used depends on the boundary conditions and the nature of the problem being solved.

5. What are the limitations of the Helmholtz differential equation?

The Helmholtz differential equation is a linear second-order partial differential equation, which means it can only model systems with linear relationships between variables. It also assumes that the coefficients are constant, which may not always be the case in real-life situations.