Helmholtz equation in N dimensions

In summary, the Helmholtz equation is a partial differential equation describing wave behavior in a given medium. Boundary conditions, including Dirichlet - von Neumann type, are necessary for solving this equation in N dimensions. The equation can be separated in 11 coordinate systems in 3D, with the number of separable coordinate systems depending on N. This is related to the number of hypersurfaces that can be built using a section of flat N dimensional space and a (N+1) dimensional cone.
xlines
Hello!

I'm in a search for information on the topic to devise a strategy of solving H. equation in N dimensions with Dirichlet - von Neumann type of boundary conditions. I'm assured that problem can be solved in closed form.

As far as I can see, boundary conditions in any number of dimensions are always given on hypersurface - that is N-1 subspace. Is this trivial generalization correct?

Furthermore, I read somewhere that H. equation is separable in 11 coordinate systems in 3D. Is this true? How does this number depends on N? I have a gut-feeling that number of separable coord. systems has to do something with number of hypersurfaces one can build by taking section of flat N dimensional space and (N+1) D cone and number of coordinate systems one can make using such surfaces - but, as always, this is probably already solved ... so I ask first =)

Any clue on the topic, paper or opinion is more than welcome ...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Your question is quite interesting and I would be happy to provide some information and insights on the topic.

First of all, the Helmholtz equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in a given medium. It can be written in N dimensions as:

∇²u + k²u = 0

where u is the wave function and k is the wave number. In order to solve this equation, boundary conditions are necessary and they can be of different types, such as Dirichlet, Neumann, or a combination of both (Dirichlet - von Neumann).

To answer your first question, yes, it is correct that boundary conditions in any number of dimensions are given on a hypersurface. This is because in N dimensions, a hypersurface is defined as a (N-1) dimensional subspace. Therefore, the boundary conditions are specified on this hypersurface.

Now, regarding the separability of the Helmholtz equation, it is true that it can be separated in 11 coordinate systems in 3D. This is due to the symmetry of the equation and the different coordinate systems that can be used to describe it. However, the number of separable coordinate systems does depend on N. In general, the number of separable coordinate systems is given by:

N(N+1)/2

This means that in higher dimensions, there are more possible coordinate systems in which the Helmholtz equation can be separated.

Your intuition about the number of separable coordinate systems is correct. It does have to do with the number of hypersurfaces that can be built by taking a section of a flat N dimensional space and a (N+1) dimensional cone. However, this is a complex topic and requires a deeper understanding of the mathematics behind it.

I hope this information has been helpful to you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your research!

What is the Helmholtz equation in N dimensions?

The Helmholtz equation in N dimensions is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of scalar fields in N-dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model a wide range of phenomena, including sound waves, electromagnetic fields, and fluid dynamics.

What is the mathematical form of the Helmholtz equation in N dimensions?

The mathematical form of the Helmholtz equation in N dimensions is: ∇²ψ + k²ψ = 0, where ψ is the scalar field, ∇² is the Laplace operator, and k is the wavenumber. In N dimensions, the Laplace operator is defined as the sum of the second partial derivatives of the field with respect to each of the N dimensions.

What are the boundary conditions for the Helmholtz equation in N dimensions?

The boundary conditions for the Helmholtz equation in N dimensions depend on the specific problem being modeled. In general, the boundary conditions specify the behavior of the scalar field at the boundaries of the N-dimensional space. These conditions can include fixed values, gradients, or combinations of both.

What are some applications of the Helmholtz equation in N dimensions?

The Helmholtz equation in N dimensions has many applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used to model sound waves in acoustics, electromagnetic fields in electromagnetics, and fluid flow in fluid dynamics. It is also used in other fields, such as quantum mechanics and image processing.

What are some numerical methods for solving the Helmholtz equation in N dimensions?

There are several numerical methods that can be used to solve the Helmholtz equation in N dimensions, including finite difference, finite element, and boundary element methods. These methods approximate the solution to the equation by dividing the N-dimensional space into smaller regions and solving the equation at each point within those regions. The choice of method depends on the specific problem being modeled and the desired level of accuracy.