Helmholtz Equation with non-homogeneous b.c.

In summary: Pm(cos(theta))] = Σ[K(r,theta,theta')*f(theta')] where K(r,theta,theta') is the product of the Bessel function and Legendre polynomial. Hence, in summary, the solution to the given equation can be rewritten as an integral involving the product of the Bessel function and Legendre polynomial, with the boundary condition f(theta).
HappyEuler2

Homework Statement

In 2D: (del2 + k2) u(r,theta) = 0 with b.c u(R,theta) = f(theta)

Starting from the general solution (by separation of variables) show that the solution can be rewritten as:

[tex]\int[/tex] K(r,theta,theta')*f(theta') dtheta' from 0 to 2*Pi

Homework Equations

The general solution is Jm(k*r)*Pm(cos(theta)) where Pm are the Legendre polynomials and Jm are the Bessel functions

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I've attempted this on three different occasions, following the professor's instructions to the problem I end up with a relationship Jm(kR) Pm(cos(theta)) = f(theta) where I need to find the values for k, but this would require some type of inversion for the Bessel functions. So I am thinking this isn't the case.

Alternatively, if I try to define the solution u(r,theta) = v(theta) + w(r,theta) I end up getting confused on how to properly deal with the v(theta) term. I know it needs to obey the boundary conditions so I can rewrite the equation as an inhomogeneous helmholtz equation in terms of w(r,theta) and then find the solution as an integral involving the appropriate Green's function.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

I would approach this problem by first understanding the equations and variables involved. The equation given is a 2D Laplace's equation with a constant k, which can represent the wave number or a diffusion coefficient. The boundary condition given is a function of theta, which suggests that the solution is dependent on the angular coordinate.

To solve this, we can use the method of separation of variables, where we assume the solution can be written as a product of two functions, one dependent on r and the other on theta.

u(r,theta) = R(r)*Θ(theta)

Substituting this into the Laplace's equation, we get:

R''(r)*Θ(theta) + (1/r)*R'(r)*Θ(theta) + k^2*R(r)*Θ(theta) + R(r)*Θ''(theta) = 0

Dividing by R(r)*Θ(theta), we get:

(R''(r) + (1/r)*R'(r) + k^2*R(r)) + (Θ''(theta)/Θ(theta)) = 0

Since the two terms on the left-hand side are independent of each other, they must be equal to a constant, which we can denote as -λ^2.

R''(r) + (1/r)*R'(r) + (k^2 - λ^2)*R(r) = 0

Θ''(theta) + λ^2*Θ(theta) = 0

Now, we can solve these two ordinary differential equations separately. The solution for R(r) is given by the Bessel functions, as mentioned in the problem statement. The solution for Θ(theta) is given by the Legendre polynomials.

We can write the general solution as:

u(r,theta) = Σ[Am*Jm(k*r)*Pm(cos(theta))]

Now, to satisfy the boundary condition u(R,theta) = f(theta), we can substitute r = R in the above equation and equate it to f(theta). This will give us the coefficients Am, which will depend on the function f(theta).

Therefore, the solution can be rewritten as:

u(r,theta) = Σ[Am*Jm(k*r)*Pm(cos(theta))]

= Σ[Am*Jm(k*r)]*

1. What is the Helmholtz Equation with non-homogeneous boundary conditions?

The Helmholtz Equation with non-homogeneous boundary conditions is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in a medium with varying properties. It is used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as acoustic and electromagnetic waves.

2. How is the Helmholtz Equation solved with non-homogeneous boundary conditions?

The Helmholtz Equation with non-homogeneous boundary conditions is typically solved using techniques such as separation of variables, Green's functions, and numerical methods like finite difference or finite element analysis. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the boundary conditions and the properties of the medium.

3. What are some common applications of the Helmholtz Equation with non-homogeneous boundary conditions?

The Helmholtz Equation with non-homogeneous boundary conditions has a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is commonly used to model the propagation of sound waves in acoustic systems, electromagnetic waves in antennas and waveguides, and seismic waves in geophysical exploration.

4. What is the significance of non-homogeneous boundary conditions in the Helmholtz Equation?

Non-homogeneous boundary conditions in the Helmholtz Equation allow for a more realistic representation of physical systems. They allow for the consideration of boundaries with different material properties, obstacles or sources within the domain, and other complexities that cannot be captured with homogeneous boundary conditions.

5. How do non-homogeneous boundary conditions affect the solutions of the Helmholtz Equation?

Non-homogeneous boundary conditions can significantly affect the solutions of the Helmholtz Equation. They can introduce additional modes or frequencies, alter the amplitude and phase of the solutions, and cause reflections or scattering of the waves. The behavior of the solutions at the boundaries is also heavily influenced by the non-homogeneity of the boundary conditions.