1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helmholtz Equation with non-homogeneous b.c.

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In 2D: (del2 + k2) u(r,theta) = 0 with b.c u(R,theta) = f(theta)

Starting from the general solution (by separation of variables) show that the solution can be rewritten as:

[tex]\int[/tex] K(r,theta,theta')*f(theta') dtheta' from 0 to 2*Pi

2. Relevant equations

The general solution is Jm(k*r)*Pm(cos(theta)) where Pm are the Legendre polynomials and Jm are the Bessel functions

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I've attempted this on three different occasions, following the professor's instructions to the problem I end up with a relationship Jm(kR) Pm(cos(theta)) = f(theta) where I need to find the values for k, but this would require some type of inversion for the Bessel functions. So I am thinking this isn't the case.

Alternatively, if I try to define the solution u(r,theta) = v(theta) + w(r,theta) I end up getting confused on how to properly deal with the v(theta) term. I know it needs to obey the boundary conditions so I can rewrite the equation as an inhomogeneous helmholtz equation in terms of w(r,theta) and then find the solution as an integral involving the appropriate Green's function.

Any help?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted